cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WD hitch

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
I have been towing a 30ft TT with a Ford F-150 for the better part of 4 yrs without any issues. The last 2 times out I noticed my TV pulling to the right while towing. In fact the steering wheel has to be held slightly left of center to maintain a straight path. It does not happen when Iโ€™m not towing. Today upon returning from a trip, I noticed some play between the shank and the hitch assembly. Is this normal or should the shank and hitch assembly be tight. I checked all the tires on both my TV and trailer all look normal. Iโ€™m wondering if that little bit of play is the culprit. Any ideas? Itโ€™s an Equalizer setup. Thanks for the help.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience
3 REPLIES 3

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I'd be looking at the trailer axles alignment and suspension on the trailer axles too.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Stuck or sticking brakes on the trailer can cause a noticeable pull, if stuck check the trailer brakes on the same side it is pulling to.

If pulling only happens while braking then might have inoperative or badly adjusted brakes on the opposite side from the direction of pull.

It is also possible your vehicle may have a stuck or sticking brake pads in the front caliper. Sometimes does not give a noticeable pull until you start having to brake harder like under a heavy load of towing. With owning many different Ford trucks over the yrs it is a constant battle to stay ahead of the sticking brake pads..

The manufacturers make the vehicle brake pads a bit too tight of a fit in the calipers, add in some rust and now you have hanging/sticking brakes.

I like to file/grind the pad ears until the pads move easily and smoothly in the calipers, takes care of that issue until pads need changed.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
The problem lies withing the truck. The added weight to the rear is causing something in the front end to pull. Best to see a truck alignment place, who know more about towing and front ends than a regular alignment guy.