Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Triple bunk Travel trailer under 36'
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

 > Triple bunk Travel trailer under 36'

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
momma03monsters

Pittsburgh PA

New Member

Joined: 05/25/2021

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/25/21 01:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi, I am looking for a triple bunk travel trailer, bumper pull that is under 36'. We will be pulling with a 2021 Ram1500, towing capacity of 11,000lbs. We have 3 small children and 2 dogs that we would like to camp with, and would like to upgrade to a travel trailer from tent camping. So far, we really like the Coachmen Freedom Express 292bhds. Are there other trailers out there that are similar in layout? The outdoor kitchen is a huge bonus, but not needed.

camp-n-family

London, Ontario

Senior Member

Joined: 07/26/2009

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/25/21 03:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You may want to rethink this. A 36’ trailer is a lot for a half ton truck. You may have an 11k tow rating but that is useless when you don’t have the payload to carry the tongue weight plus 5 passengers and 2 dogs.

Get your truck payload off the door sticker and subtract the weight of all passengers and stuff in the truck. What’s left is available for the trailer tongue weight. Figure 13% of the trailer weight is on the tongue (for good stability) and leave a little room to spare.

Most half tons will max out with 7500lbs trailers or less. Know your numbers and don’t be fooled by the sales gimmick tow ratings. Many people here have made this costly mistake and quickly ended up spending a ton getting a bigger truck.

* This post was edited 05/25/21 03:19pm by camp-n-family *


'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley


theoldwizard1

SE MI

Senior Member

Joined: 09/07/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/26/21 01:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

True "bunk house" trailers are hard to find, but there are a few out there. That is a lot of trailer for a 1/2 ton truck! Make sure the tanks are empty and don't overload the bed.

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

Senior Member

Joined: 06/18/2013

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/26/21 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That trailer will have a tongue weight approaching 1000 pounds when loaded. Take that from your payload sticker and see what you’ve got left.


Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

Senior Member

Joined: 11/26/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/26/21 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

momma03monsters wrote:

Hi, I am looking for a triple bunk travel trailer, bumper pull that is under 36'. We will be pulling with a 2021 Ram1500, towing capacity of 11,000lbs. We have 3 small children and 2 dogs that we would like to camp with, and would like to upgrade to a travel trailer from tent camping. So far, we really like the Coachmen Freedom Express 292bhds. Are there other trailers out there that are similar in layout? The outdoor kitchen is a huge bonus, but not needed.


As others have said, you do need to watch your weights, but the only way to do that for sure is for you to look at YOUR numbers and not the assumptions of many on either side of the debate. I will tell you that we tow a very similar trailer in floorplan, length and weight with our F150. We are within all of our weights, but we travel with minimal fluids and nothing in the bed of the truck in order to stay well within those ranges.

I will also say that, unless you are taking 2 vehicles, the dogs will become a problem in a hurry. Hard to travel with 3 growing kids and 2 dogs in the cab of a pick-up. Our dog has to stay home for any trip longer than a few hours (where we are not taking 2 cars).

With all of that said, this floorplan is much like ours and it has worked very well for our family of 5. I will simply add that the outdoor kitchen is an absolute necessity for us. As the kids get older (ours are not 12, 15 and 16), the interior of that camper gets increasingly small. Being able to cook outside makes all the difference in keeping the center area of the camper from becoming overly cramped with people and stuff during meal times.

momma03monsters

Pittsburgh PA

New Member

Joined: 05/25/2021

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/26/21 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mickeyfan0805 wrote:



As others have said, you do need to watch your weights, but the only way to do that for sure is for you to look at YOUR numbers and not the assumptions of many on either side of the debate. I will tell you that we tow a very similar trailer in floorplan, length and weight with our F150. We are within all of our weights, but we travel with minimal fluids and nothing in the bed of the truck in order to stay well within those ranges.

I will also say that, unless you are taking 2 vehicles, the dogs will become a problem in a hurry. Hard to travel with 3 growing kids and 2 dogs in the cab of a pick-up. Our dog has to stay home for any trip longer than a few hours (where we are not taking 2 cars).

With all of that said, this floorplan is much like ours and it has worked very well for our family of 5. I will simply add that the outdoor kitchen is an absolute necessity for us. As the kids get older (ours are not 12, 15 and 16), the interior of that camper gets increasingly small. Being able to cook outside makes all the difference in keeping the center area of the camper from becoming overly cramped with people and stuff during meal times.


We will most likely not be traveling with both dogs, as they are older and we are still in the research process. Most likely when we do get the travel trailer, it will only be one large dog(most likely a GSD). We plan to travel with very low liquids and maybe only our bicycles in the bed of the truck. If you don't mind my asking, what trailer do you have?

Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

Senior Member

Joined: 11/26/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/26/21 03:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

momma03monsters wrote:


We will most likely not be traveling with both dogs, as they are older and we are still in the research process. Most likely when we do get the travel trailer, it will only be one large dog(most likely a GSD). We plan to travel with very low liquids and maybe only our bicycles in the bed of the truck. If you don't mind my asking, what trailer do you have?


We have a Rockwood 8312ss. It's a 2013. They don't make that model anymore. We've had it coming up on 9 years and have been very happy with it. I expect we'll hold onto it until it's just DW and me.

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

Senior Member

Joined: 10/03/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/26/21 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jayco 29QBS. Triple bunks in a rear bunk "room". Its a 9500 lbs trailer, tongue weight will be way too high for a Ram 1500. Half ton Rams have pretty low payload. You will NOT like towing a 36' trailer, or anything close to 11,000 lbs with that truck. Either do it right or don't do it at all.

If you're gonna keep the Ram, look at a hybrid for bunk beds and a popout bed for the kids. Otherwise, look for a truck with substantially more payload (2000 lbs +, those kids are going to continue to grow and want to bring bikes, toys, etc)


2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/04/2017

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/27/21 01:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

Make sure the tanks are empty and don't overload the bed.


In my opinion, this is a bad recommendation. If you have to travel with limited or no fluids in your trailer, then you have the wrong trailer or wrong truck. You should be able to haul your trailer with the tanks all full. With very limited options to camp in a campsite with full services like dump and water, you often have to boondock if you want to go camping. If you boondock, you have to start with a full tank of water, that tank will be mostly empty on the way home but then the grey and black are full - or mostly full. We have had to fill 5 gallon jugs and add fresh water to get through a few day boondocking trip, for showers, etc. The trip home I have a very heavy trailer, full tanks, typically some water still in the fresh tank. When boondocking, your not going to have services near by. You might have to drive over a pass, large hill, or miles to the nearest services. Do you want to have your setup overloaded? Best to consider the real full weights then make a decision based on that. Plan ahead, not the opposite.

Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

Senior Member

Joined: 11/26/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/27/21 03:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thermoguy wrote:

theoldwizard1 wrote:

Make sure the tanks are empty and don't overload the bed.


In my opinion, this is a bad recommendation. If you have to travel with limited or no fluids in your trailer, then you have the wrong trailer or wrong truck. You should be able to haul your trailer with the tanks all full. With very limited options to camp in a campsite with full services like dump and water, you often have to boondock if you want to go camping. If you boondock, you have to start with a full tank of water, that tank will be mostly empty on the way home but then the grey and black are full - or mostly full. We have had to fill 5 gallon jugs and add fresh water to get through a few day boondocking trip, for showers, etc. The trip home I have a very heavy trailer, full tanks, typically some water still in the fresh tank. When boondocking, your not going to have services near by. You might have to drive over a pass, large hill, or miles to the nearest services. Do you want to have your setup overloaded? Best to consider the real full weights then make a decision based on that. Plan ahead, not the opposite.


I'm all for planning ahead and being thoughtful about weights. That said, we are in our 12th season of camping as a family and have never one boondocked. What might seem 'necessary' to some is never on the radar for another. We all do this differently, and our plans and expectations should match our particular usage.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

 > Triple bunk Travel trailer under 36'
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.