cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

King pin lock

grizz272
Explorer
Explorer
I never really thought about putting a lock on our fifth wheel until this year when I started seeing a lot of stories about stolen RV's.

How long have you been locking your king pin?
30 REPLIES 30

juzplanekrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Parking it at home, no worries to lock it up. A 115 lb. German Shepard has that job. In a RV park or camp site, no worries. To much stuff to do to get it ready to roll. They may take a bike, BBQ, chair but that's about it.
I've always been more worried about locking the hitch in the truck when at long weekend events like Nascar where you have to go park you truck in a lot for 4-5 days,
2021 Dodge Ram Longhorn 4x4 Dually
2019 KZ Durango Gold 371
B & W Companion 25K

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Njmurvin wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
No worries here ,the Andersen hitch with the adapter just about eliminates my fifth wheel getting stolen.

Haha. My thoughts exactly. Thieves would have to carry a big a$$ed wrench and allen wrench to remove the adapter. That's only IF they realize there's a king pin hiding inside.

Yes that adapter is probably just as good as a kingpin lock. Plus a trouble free hitch, no lubing, ,adjustment ,noise etc etc .

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:
No worries here ,the Andersen hitch with the adapter just about eliminates my fifth wheel getting stolen.

Haha. My thoughts exactly. Thieves would have to carry a big a$$ed wrench and allen wrench to remove the adapter. That's only IF they realize there's a king pin hiding inside.
2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned a fifth wheel for over 14 years. Ten of those it was in a storage lot. I never used one and never worried about it. If it makes you feel comfortable, get one.
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Never.
However I've carried a 14" long grade 70 transport chain and one of those padlocks advertised as bullet proof in three different 5th wheel trailers since '84. It wraps around the king pin and pad locked.
I've never seen any reports of a 5th wheel rv trailer being stolen where we go or where we live.
Now flatbed trailers just about every day in local news someones trailer full of some type of equipment gets stolen but most of them are bumper pull trailers.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

mlburst
Explorer
Explorer
We have used one on our fiver while on the storage lot for the last 10 years.

Since most of the rigs in storage don't have a lock, I figure they would be much easier targets than ours.
Mike & Joanna
Myrtle Beach SC/Port Charlotte FL
"Any-timers" since Dec 2010
2010 Heartland Sundance 2900MK
2012 Ford F250 Lariat King Ranch CC 6.7L Diesel
Heartland Owners Club #1452
Escapees #99187

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
We've locked our 2 5vers for the last 13 years; especially at c/gs. As stated, it doesn't take very long to put it on. I would like to think somebody would see thieves cutting it off and report it.

I also used a lock on my TT
2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

grizz272
Explorer
Explorer
My Wife's thought on the lock is "you have a huge investment in the camper The cost of the lock is negligible in comparison to the loss if the camper was stolen".
We lock ours now. I did see 2 others locked this weekend at the campground.

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
I have a home storage garage...so I don't use the lock there. But I like to put it on when camping since it is orange and has an orange ribbon. The ribbon helps identify the pin box for safety reasons when walking or driving around it. Also, help keep the dust and grit off the greased pin when camping in a dusty area.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
grizz272 wrote:
I never really thought about putting a lock on our fifth wheel until this year when I started seeing a lot of stories about stolen RV's.

How long have you been locking your king pin?

Since the mid-โ€˜90โ€™s! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
I always lock the pin on my 5th wheel. It only takes a minute and gives me a little more secure feeling with all the nuts out there now. If they try and cut off this lock they will have to cut part of the pin so they can't tow in anyway.
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
I lock, because I believe in:"Put not temptation in the path of thy brother"

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I never locked any of my three. I have an auto slider hitch, so my kingpin has an adapter plate which, if hooked to a typical FW hitch, would probably rip off the hitch head or the kingpin on the first turn.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD