cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

National Parks entry tickets

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
If you are heading out this summer check ahead for BIG changes in NPS.

Zion has required shuttle tix for a while now. Other parks are jumping on that theme. We came West early this year and were surprised.

Glacier...Driving in the park from either end requires an entry ticket unless you have reservations in the park.

Mesa Verde...ticketed Ranger programs to tour most all of the Pueblos.

I'm sure there are probably others as well. Tix are available on recreation.gov AND will require some planning for dates/times. They are only good for the purchaser...with ID.

Every place is crowded early...just crazy, no one working, all out in their new rv's.

Good Luck
Happy Trails ๐Ÿ™‚
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843
10 REPLIES 10

FWC
Explorer
Explorer
Geo*Boy wrote:
FWC wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
Am I correct that Yosemite is now charging $2 to enter even with a federal senior pass?

That is the case if you are entering for day use and don't have any other reservation/permit such as a wilderness permit, camping reservation etc. The same $2 fee applies to folks who have annual National Park Passes. The money doesn't even go to the park, but the contractor that runs the reservation system.

What a joke this country/government has gone to the dogs.

This is not new - the fee goes to Booz Allen Hamilton that runs recreation.gov. When you make a camping or backcountry permit reservation you pay a fee to Booz Allen as well, you just tend not to notice as it is attached to the park service fee, and it is typically $6 not $2.

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
FWC wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
Am I correct that Yosemite is now charging $2 to enter even with a federal senior pass?

That is the case if you are entering for day use and don't have any other reservation/permit such as a wilderness permit, camping reservation etc. The same $2 fee applies to folks who have annual National Park Passes. The money doesn't even go to the park, but the contractor that runs the reservation system.

What a joke this country/government has gone to the dogs.

FWC
Explorer
Explorer
Rocky Mountain National Park and Haleakala National Park also require reservations.

FWC
Explorer
Explorer
It is a tricky issue. In general the parks are being inundated with people, leading to major overcrowding, a diminished experience for all, and damage to the natural and cultural resources within the parks. That on top of the need to reduce crowding in the face of COVID have lead to timed/reserved entry at the most popular parks. If the current level of use continues, I can't see the reservation system going away. The Park Service is in an impossible situation with competing missions - to provide access to these wonders while at the same time 'preserving unimpaired the natural and cultural resources of the parks'. Reservations seem like a reasonable compromise between these competing mandates, but I do wonder if it should be on a lottery basis (like river rafting permits) as opposed to who can click the links fastest at 12:00:01 am.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
That wasnโ€™t the promise the feds made when I bought my senior pass.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
The Cadillac Summit Rd in Acadia now requires reservations.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

FWC
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Twomed wrote:
If you are heading out this summer check ahead for BIG changes in NPS

Glacier...Driving in the park from either end requires an entry ticket unless you have reservations in the park.
Thats been a major discussion point these last few months

Mesa Verde...ticketed Ranger programs to tour most all of the Pueblos.
Nothing new there, they've required tickets for several years

I'm sure there are probably others as well.
I have not heard of them if there are

Good Luck
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Many people never used their vacation time last year and have hit "use it or lose it" situations. In past years they may have only gone to one or two parks but this year they might be able to see 3 or 4.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]