Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dry as a bone,…again

Coelacanth
Explorer
Explorer
Folks,
My recently acquired Holiday Rambler, Augusta, B+, 29’ has a fresh water issue.
When dry camping I can only get about two days from the single 29 gallon fresh water holding tank. It’s only the two of us and we don’t shower in the RV. There is no leak.

Our previous rig, a 34’ Itasca Suncruiser, had two large water tanks. Never an issue.
But, this week we ran dry again and decided to come home, rather than refill for one more day.

My question is, is this normal? And, if so, is it feasible to add an auxiliary water tank?
The actual doing of it is not an issue. But, is it advisable, and has anyone else done so.
I’d prefer not to lug a big container of water in our tow vehicle.

Thanks.
37 REPLIES 37

Coelacanth
Explorer
Explorer
4x4van wrote:
Coelacanth wrote:
Folks,
When dry camping I can only get about two days from the single 29 gallon fresh water holding tank. It’s only the two of us and we don’t shower in the RV. There is no leak.

Our previous rig, a 34’ Itasca Suncruiser, had two large water tanks. Never an issue.
Your new RV does not have a fresh water issue; YOU have a water usage issue. Your previous 34' class A rig likely had at least 3 or even 4 times the water capacity that your new rig has (my 30' Itasca Sunrise has 84 gal). It is easy to get lazy with water conservation when you have that much on "tap".

My last rig (a class C) had 32 gal, and we (DW & I) could go 3-4 days IF we only "navy" showered on the last day, but we were also very cognizant of conserving in everything we did. Sorry, but going from a large class A to a mid-sized B+, you've got to change how you use water.

You are absolutely right.

😉

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
Coelacanth wrote:
Folks,

Your new RV does not have a fresh water issue; YOU have a water usage issue. Your previous 34' class A rig likely had at least 3 or even 4 times the water capacity that your new rig has (my 30' Itasca Sunrise has 84 gal). It is easy to get lazy with water conservation when you have that much on "tap".

My last rig (a class C) had 32 gal, and we (DW & I) could go 3-4 days IF we only "navy" showered on the last day, but we were also very cognizant of conserving in everything we did. Sorry, but going from a large class A to a mid-sized B+, you've got to change how you use water.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Filling the water tank when the coach is on a flat surface and adding slowly when the overflow starts to spit and sputter adds more to the tank. Turn on your shower to the flow you use, fill a one gallon jug and time it. it uses up quickly.

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
I had a tank that I was sure there was water in it when it ran out. I raised the end of the tank opposite of the pump. Made a big difference

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
pnichols wrote:
bukhrn wrote:
One more question, then I quit, do you turn your water pump on while filling the tank? This will fill your 6 gal water heater, if you wait until you're finished filling the tank, Then turn on the pump, you're losing 6 gal from your tank. Don't bother asking how I know. :R

Without intentionally draining the water heater by turning on it's drain valve,how can one wind up with an empty water heater due to an empty main water tank ... since the water heater is AFTER the water pump and the water pump can't force water into the water heater (and out a faucet) when the water pump can't take in any water from an empty main water tank?
Actually, that's exactly what I do after every trip, especially if it'll be awhile before the next outing .
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
johnwalkerpa1 wrote:
Lots of good suggestions on things to check and ways to reduce water usage. But, in the end, the fact is that 29 gallons is not a lot of water.

While boondocking we carry a one gal water jug with a hole drilled near the bottom. We use a golf tee as the plug and that one gallon of water is used for brushing teeth, washing hands etc. It lasts us a long time , its easy to refill and offsets the holding tank supply.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
bukhrn wrote:
One more question, then I quit, do you turn your water pump on while filling the tank? This will fill your 6 gal water heater, if you wait until you're finished filling the tank, Then turn on the pump, you're losing 6 gal from your tank. Don't bother asking how I know. :R

Without intentionally draining the water heater by turning on it's drain valve, how can one wind up with an empty water heater due to an empty main water tank ... since the water heater is AFTER the water pump and the water pump can't force water into the water heater (and out a faucet) when the water pump can't take in any water from an empty main water tank?
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Coelacanth
Explorer
Explorer
No, like I said, I can eyeball the tank.
She be dry, fer shur.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Another thing to check for is whether the tank is really empty when the water pump starts sucking air. Maybe there’s a problem with the pickup tube.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
wildtoad wrote:
Have you checked the water level when you first arrive at your camping spot? We don’t have a TT but I’d fill the tank in our mh at home and depending on the length of the trip determined how much water was in the tank upon arrival. Seems due to a poor design a good bit of water will exit the tank via the overflow tube.

I'm not quite sure our Class C's fresh water tank has an overflow tube. The fresh water tank has a filler cap that fits tight when we close it. No water can spill out anywhere that I can tell. :h
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

johnwalkerpa1
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of good suggestions on things to check and ways to reduce water usage. But, in the end, the fact is that 29 gallons is not a lot of water.

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was losing ALOT of water flowing out the vent tube and filler pipe while traveling; especially doing a sharp turn at speed and could watch it spilling out the side (some folks thought I was losing gas). To fix this, I put a turn-off valve in the line for the vent tube (used a on/off valve for lawn mower gas line). Also, I shove a piece of old towel into the filler pipe and cap the filler tube while traveling. I used to lose 1/2 my 40 gallons of water during a trip and now, not one drop! I've spent 7 days on the beach dry camping and still had water. Traveling uses a lot of wasted water right out the side of the RV.

craz_z
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a thought.

So you fill up the tank and drive ever notice wet spots where the overflow is? I had a tank that would ALWAYS lose 1/3 from sloshing around from driving. get to your spot and your automatically 1/3 down.

Try checking your gauge at certain intervals and especially from the time you fill to the time you get to your spot. if its down you have your answer.

several other things can contribute keep your pump off unless using if you hear it run up every once in a while. You have a leak or drain on the system.

The solution I came up with was a pen cap and a one way valve like what is found on a dirtbike gas cap.

Air can come in but no water can escape. When filling water you simply remove the cap. THIS COMPLETELY stopped the 1/3 drain from the overflow as they are nearly level and the sloshing will let it run out the overflow losing not just a little but 1/3 before you start using water.

I've moved on to a new to me rv that has the same problem as i think ALL of them do this. The overflow says your full when water pours out but it doesn't magically stop coming out when your going up hills and sloshing around

Filling slow is not necessary once it shoots water out the overflow you know its full but only temporary until you come up with a solution to stop the over flow from siphoning off 1/3 of your tank.

a 30 gallon tank should EASILY last a weekend and longer being somewhat conservative a single person can be wasteful with water and a shower and still go 3-4 days

Overflow draining your tank is the answer you can't see it happening but it is when your driving.

air needs to push out filling with water and air needs to come in using the tank nothing is stopping the water from running out the overflow tube or better yet the air inlet/outlet tube. its necessary to have this or the tank will rupture from suck or blow.

The only way to fix this is get the overflow significantly higher then the tank as most are level or even lower then the top of the tank or put in a one way valve that is removable only allowing air to come in when using the tank but also can be removed when filling the tank with water.

On my old rv the back where the water hatch was was ALWAYS wet then I finally figured out what was going on. On my new rv it has 3 overflows and i can literally see spray or mist when it rolls yaws or wind hits the rig in the mirrors. I just got it an this is on my list to fix right now!