Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Inflated hopes for EV P/U
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Inflated hopes for EV P/U

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/21 05:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also, don't forget we have to keep cranking up those horrible carbon emitting power plants in order to create sufficient electricity to power those wonderful EV machines.

Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/21 06:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

larry cad wrote:

Also, don't forget we have to keep cranking up those horrible carbon emitting power plants in order to create sufficient electricity to power those wonderful EV machines.

This. I get that electric motors are really efficient at producing a lot of power and zero lag. Lower emissions sure, but power/energy is never lost, it's just converted or transferred. To produce power to charge EV's and manufacture them you still need power plants. You need infrastructure. The raw materials to manufacture the batteries are hardly eco friendly and there is no long term plan on how to dispose of the batteries at the end of their life.

EV's are great, don't get me wrong, but the entire process from manufacture to disposal needs to be vetted. Current state it's a bit of smoke and mirrors. Ooh look a new EV that does this and that. Don't look behind the curtain about how it's made or what to do with all the waste and the environmental impact from harvesting raw materials.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/21 06:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

60 miles seems short unless that is worst case scenario. 24 hr charge might be right for L2 if you happen to arrive perfectly empty and must have full 100% before you go again. 120v is a joke at this level.

While the tow rating is substantial I agree it may not be practical for very many people.

Still try to imagine getting 60 to 80 MPG on this large vehicle that should be able to run a mid 12 second 1/4 mile while you commute, out to dinner, Home Depot, stop for groceries and the rest. Going to be a compelling vehicle for many people. I mean trade that Prius econobox in already.

60 miles does seem a little low. I would expect something on the order of 100-150 depending on which battery bank you get.

On a 30amp, you can expect around 3000w continuous (not 3600w as continuous loads must be derated to 80%). Assuming the RV loads are around 1500w (summer with air/con running), that gives you 1.5kw that can be sent to the car. Alternatively, many pedestals will have a 15/20amp secondary outlet which can generate something similar to 1.5kw.

At 1.5kw, over 24hr, you will get 36kwh into the battery bank.

The Ford battery bank is 112kwh. So that would take around 3 days to top up at 1.5kw.

If you have a 50amp outlet, it's better. You have around 9.6kw of continuous power. Assuming the RV uses 3.6kw (presumably, you have a 50amp rig because you use more power), that leaves you 6kw to route to charging. That will take a little over 18hr to fully charge. OK, if you don't tow back to back days but not very viable for a cross country trip.

Update: Just realized, this was based on the small battery option. The extended range option would be take around 50% longer to charge. Also payload drops to around 1800lb, which makes towing a 10,000lb trailer (with 1500lb hitch weight) a bit challenging if you don't want to exceed the payload limits.

* This post was edited 05/27/21 06:36am by valhalla360 *

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/21 06:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I could get excited about an electric motor and battery being added to my diesel to be used for regenerative braking. Other than that I think I’m likely going to be burning diesel for a lot of years..... I hope.

2021 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

NRALIFR

Let’s Go Girls! [End of Quote]

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/21 06:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would like one as a grocery getter, but towing and hauling.......not so much.

It IS ironic that something that initially was touted as “saving the planet” has so many downsides.

Want to make that EV carbon footprint even worse? Pay for it with Bitcoin.

[emoticon][emoticon]

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/21 07:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

90% of trucks are used to pick up groceries and kids. A contractor grabs materials for the crew. A guy might tow his boat 30 miles to a lake. Take a load of trash to the dump. EV trucks are here to stay, no matter what you want or think. Towing 15,000 pounds is waaaaay down that list.

Well for those purposes an electric would do.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/21 07:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

60 miles seems short unless that is worst case scenario.

Well maybe but he was looking at it this way, the 230 mile or 300 mile ratings were based on 150 lb driver and a 150 lb passenger on a flat oval track. Ideal driving conditions, double the weight of the truck by adding a max weight trailer plus real world stuff in the truck will knock that down to 115/150miles on a track add real world roads, hills, mountains, and head wind I can see it being cut in half again.

as for 230V chargers in campgrounds, that's been discussed any number of times here, CG operators will not add those pricey chargers using expensive electricity until a critical mass of EV's show up on the CG and they will charge a surcharge to use them.

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/21 07:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I may be a buyer depending on the battery.. While I do not tow with my work truck ( F150 platinum ) I do travel to all our our facilities I would need to have the range of 400+ not towing..

Then there is the charging issue ONCE I get to 1 of those facilities, do I really want to add charging time to an already long day?

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

thomasmnile

Lake Mary, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/21 07:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

EV or ICE, "fuel economy" ratings are often fudged numbers. Had a 2018 Camry ICE that came close to the EPA numbers. Traded it for a 2019 Highlander with a V6 rated for 21 city, 26 highway. Haven't seen either number yet; vehicle is the biggest gas pig I've had in some time. Just too many variables to take into account no matter the fuel source/propulsion method.

Timmo!

FYJB! Yep, FYJB!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/21 07:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And I wonder how many miles the BEV truck must be driven before it's accumulated carbon footprint becomes smaller than the ICE version. I speculate the crossover point will be in the neighborhood of 70k-100k miles.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Inflated hopes for EV P/U
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.