Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Solar Panels
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Solar Panels

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/21 12:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You asked what size solar system you would need in the Tuscan area. 7K would suffice. Then you'll need 2 batteries.....ugh. That solar will cost you about $15,000. The batteries another $10,000. No way I would leave that stuff sitting unattended for a long period out in the middle of nowhere. Diesel generators are a better bet than a propane generator. They use less fuel and last a whole lot longer. You'll have acreage, so, you could put it far enough away that the noise would not bother you. I just read about wells drying up all around the Tuscan area. If you made your system large enough, you could lease out spaces to Snow Birds, and use that money to put an even larger system in?

Crespro

SoCal

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/21 01:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are in a different environment, but have a 9K ground solar system and am adding two Tesla Powerwalls with 27K. Check out Ironridge if you want a ground unit.

This should cover about 98% or more of our requirements. I am still connected to the grid, but if I were not connected, I would use a generator to cover the other 2%. This is a reasonable solution.

I designed and installed most of the components myself, but do have an engineering background.

Crespro 2021 Grand Design 310GK-R, 2020 F250LB, 7.3L, 4.30, Reese 27K

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/27/21 02:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"We declined the solar panel option as I don't think 2 solar panels would run the A/C during a 115 degree AZ summer."

Neither will 3 or 4 panels.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/21 10:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

So you are looking at a very large solar array, very large battery array and a large inverter charger...realistically, it will be cheaper to maintain and fuel your existing 7kw generator. Even if you have to replace it every 8-10yrs.

I think you're underestimating the cost of running an RV generator 24x7.

Running an Onan 7000 for 6 months 24x7 would use close to $10,000 of gasoline (0.7 gph at half load), and after 4000 hours running 24x7 in the Arizona heat, it'll probably be time to replace it at the end of each season. (plus he'd be changing oil + filters ever 150 hours (or less) which would cost around $1000/year

So that's probably close to $15K/year in total expenses. A 20KW solar array plus a few tesla powerwalls would cost around $50K. So if he's really doing this long term, he'd break even with solar after 3 or 4 years, and he wouldn't have to deliver 120 gallons of fuel to his site every week.

He'd probably save some money buy buying a small 8KVA prime power diesel since fuel cost would probably be half, it would last a lot longer, and would need fewer oil changes.

If there is power within a few miles of his property, it could be cheaper to pay the power company to run power there.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/28/21 05:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rlw999 wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

So you are looking at a very large solar array, very large battery array and a large inverter charger...realistically, it will be cheaper to maintain and fuel your existing 7kw generator. Even if you have to replace it every 8-10yrs.

I think you're underestimating the cost of running an RV generator 24x7.

Running an Onan 7000 for 6 months 24x7 would use close to $10,000 of gasoline (0.7 gph at half load), and after 4000 hours running 24x7 in the Arizona heat, it'll probably be time to replace it at the end of each season. (plus he'd be changing oil + filters ever 150 hours (or less) which would cost around $1000/year

So that's probably close to $15K/year in total expenses. A 20KW solar array plus a few tesla powerwalls would cost around $50K. So if he's really doing this long term, he'd break even with solar after 3 or 4 years, and he wouldn't have to deliver 120 gallons of fuel to his site every week.

He'd probably save some money buy buying a small 8KVA prime power diesel since fuel cost would probably be half, it would last a lot longer, and would need fewer oil changes.

If there is power within a few miles of his property, it could be cheaper to pay the power company to run power there.

24x7 maybe, if he's out there all summer long (all I can think is glutton for punishment) but if he's doing that, bucking up to get grid power run to the site starts making sense even if it's quite expensive.

Now if the OP is out there for weekends or a week here and there in the summer, he still needs the massive solar system to cover the power demand during hot periods but the rest of the year, it's oversized. A generator would use far less fuel in that scenario.

So really, the OP needs to share what he thinks is usage of the site would be.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Racklefratz

Everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/21 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fyrflie wrote:

https://www.parkedinparadise.com/solar-calculator/
This is just one of multiple places to look to answer your question.

But, rather than build a system just for the RV, why not look into building a true off-grid power system.
Well, you stepped in it with that last question. The realistic, factual answer is that none of the "alternative energy" options available today are ready for prime time. This is why none of them would exist were it not for the massive government (taxpayer) subsidies they receive. Can you say "Solyndra"? Tesla is another example. Wouldn't exist without subsidies, big ones, subsidies that YOU pay for through your taxes.

Alex and Tee

Jacksonville , FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/21 02:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I think I found my solution. After reading the most recent newsletter from Tiffin, there was an article about a couple that boondocks 300 days a year in their Phaeton DP. The wife works remotely from the RV and, for them to be fully functional and comfortable, they found that a 2000 watt solar panel system takes care of their needs. I found a complete 2300 watt system with panels, batteries and inverter for just under $4000. I think between that and the generator that would work for us.

Thank you everyone for your insight and input.

Alex & Teresa

2022 Allegro Open Road
2021 Colorado 4x4

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Solar Panels
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.