cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ice Cream Season

propchef
Explorer
Explorer
As the temps start to soar, it's time to think about ice cream once again! I love my Kitchenaide ice cream maker that attaches to my mixer. Super simple and makes a great product.

This is my recipe for the custard or Creme Anglaise. This is a rich, egg-based custard that might take a little practice to get right, but the results are the best.

The basic recipe is:

12 egg yolks
8 ounces of sugar
1 quart of milk, or a mix of milk and half and half (my favorite)
1 tsp vanilla

How to Make Creme Anglaise

Once the custard is done and has rested overnight in the refrigerator, this is the process for the ice cream:

Strawberry Ice Cream
6 REPLIES 6

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have an old fashioned bucket and motor rig. The grands love it. We only put the ice cream in the freezer for a couple of hours because we prefer soft serve. We use a similar custard recipe and flavor it different ways such as crushed candy bars, caramel morsels, etc.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Tried to use an ice ream maker but could not get the 5W freezer cold enough, I had milk shakes.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"This is my recipe for the custard or Creme Anglais" Great!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

propchef
Explorer
Explorer
jdc1 wrote:
There's an ice-cream maker for my KitchenAide mixer?!!!!!!!!

Yes! We love ours and use it often in the summer. Be sure to let it freeze overnight before you use it and ensure that your custard is very cold as well.

****DON'T DO A FULL QUART**** It will overrun (spill out).

I like to make a quart of custard and make 2 separate flavors of 1 pint each.

After spinning/churning, it has to freeze for at least 6 hours, preferably overnight for the best texture.

I just made my first base for the season and I'm using the giant blackberries from my yard. #drool

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
jdc1 wrote:

Who would have thought???
ice cream
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II