cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Living full time on my land in Plumas or Lassen County

chovy
Explorer
Explorer
Living full time on my land in Plumas or Lassen County (CA/USA)

So I was thinking of buying an acre of land and parking my RV there and living in it, however in Plumas County, they only let you dwell in an RV for 120 days a year. I have not heard back from Lassen County as I asked their planner the same thing but they had to call me back with an answer.

My plan was to live there while I save for a custom home to be built (probably take me 2-3 years). But now it doesn't look like that's a possibility.

Does anyone have any solutions or creative ideas? I was considering buying 2 other small parcels in the area so I could just move around 120 days at each...but I don't know if the 120 days limitation is county wide or just in one location.
22 REPLIES 22

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
HMMMMM...Homeless people are living all over Cali and not in RV parks. I'm thinking that a properly installed metal cover would be suffice to park a trailer under.
Wait until you apply for a building permit---you might not be able to afford a home. Been there, applied for a permit, gasped at the cost, left the state, been happy ever since. Really happy.
Good luck.

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Check the laws on mobile homes.
Because Iโ€™m thinking if you put a basic foundation in & removed the wheels, the TT would come under the mobile home rules?
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
You might look at BLM land and National Forest Land in and around the 2 counties to use to rotate with your property stays. There are usually 14 day limits and distance between locations. It might require moving every 2 weeks, but can help stretch out your 4 month limit at your property. For lack of electricity you could invest in solar on your trailer. It can help you stay under the radar with the county while staying on your own property. As soon as you add electric, septic or sewage connection, well or city water, you gotta get those pesky permits and bills that draw attention to what you are doing.

chovy
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah Iโ€™m thinking of a tiny home or something that would qualify as a dwelling.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Could you have an inexpensive modular home (or maybe even a preowned mobile home) installed on the land? Or have a shed built with insulation, bathroom, etc and move into that for the time being? You could still save up for a nicer home to be built a couple of years down the road.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

chovy
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
Why are you trying to do this in a place that doesn't want you there?
Go somewhere that welcomes people, not that wants to punish you for living.

I'm just trying to see if its even feasible to do what I want. The problem is I'm going through a divorce and two households in SF Bay Area are not in the cards on our salaries, so I need to find out something long term for myself.

If I move far away then I'll never see my kids.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
JRscooby wrote:
Could you put up a pole barn to run utilities to, hide yourself and RV inside?

This is a great idea, done by many people. Install a septic system and a water tank. Maybe even solar and pull in electrical.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Why are you trying to do this in a place that doesn't want you there?
Go somewhere that welcomes people, not that wants to punish you for living.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
chovy wrote:
Yeah I doubt they would ever check unless a neighbor complained

And likely,,,, one would. Just to reduce the number of neighbors next year by one.

Ol_coot
Explorer
Explorer
The way I see it for a work around. Going to bend some lines and be creative thinking.
First as you state, you are planning to build a home. Okay so it is in a couple of years. I don't think there is a "Time Line" to get it built. So get your building permit. That will allow you to have your utilizes installed. Water, Electrical and ether septic or sewer.. Go out and put up four stakes with flags, that's where your house is going to be built. Now you have your utilizes and then let them tell you can not live there waiting for your house to be built...

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
chovy wrote:
Yeah they can evict you from your own land apparently. California is such a pathetic state ruled by overlords who created this whole mess I'm in.
Elections have consequences.

chovy
Explorer
Explorer
The rule is you have to clear the tanks every 17 days. Or have to have septic/water hookups. I think its cheaper to actually buy 3 lots than 3 trailers.

capacitor
Explorer
Explorer
You havenโ€™t mentioned utilities. Do you need a well and septic tank? How about electricity? I would just do it and move to a different spot on the nine acres. You would need a permit for the utilities so you should be fine while that is underway.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Look at resolving it from a different angle. Instead of buying additional parcels just buy two more cheap RV's. Then just rotate RV's every 120 days. ๐Ÿ™‚

Or just live in the one until somebody complains.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup