Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: 1 month old TT totaled?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> 1 month old TT totaled?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
mr_andyj

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/21 08:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would imagine the frame (bottom part that the axle attaches to, not the walls and roof) are perfectly fine, the walls took the impact.

How much is it worth new?

Agree, in dealing with ins companies too I find that they are very quick to settle on property damage. For them the cost of a vehicle is nothing compared to the cost of medical. Vehicles are easy, medical is a nightmare. I bet you get a nice check for your efforts, not what you paid but close enough.

What is the wall frame made of, wood, steel, aluminum?

Depends what buy-back price is. Most of the components and appliances are probably fine if all that happened is to lay on its side. They have value.

The trailer can be fixed. It can be fixed back perfect, or fixed to not leak or be a danger and to be towable and useable. It can be fixed for a hunter's special (to park it in the woods and never move it again).

That you are asking means you have not done this, so I advise DO NOT try. Walk away.

The WD hitch probably would have damaged your truck more, so good that you had it off. It would not keep trailer from flipping in a dangerously fast turn.

If you enter an intersection under green or yellow then the intersection is YOURS! It does not matter if it turns red AFTER you enter the intersection. The law states "do not enter intersection under RED". Other drivers HAVE to wait for you to exit the intersection before moving through. No need to tear through and crash just because you saw yellow or red after the fact.

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/21 08:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

I was in a business for a number of years where I dealt with numerous auto insurers. Glad you had a single good experience with Geico, but in dealing with most of the major carriers on a regular basis, I can tell you that your experience was the exception to the rule.

I've had 2 good experience with Geico over the 10 years I've been with them. One was a comprehensive claim, someone damaged both drivers side doors trying to pry the door open, Geico paid $4000 to replace the door and have the whole side of the car repainted/blended. The body shop quoted an aftermarket door but since the car was nearly brand new, I asked for an OEM door and Geico agreed.

The other claim was a after a USPS truck pulled out from a side street and hit the side of the car. I made a claim through Geico, they sent me a check (minus my deductible) within a week of getting the estimate. Then every month for the next 14 months they called to say they were still trying to get the USPS to pay the claim. The USPS finally paid and Geico sent me a check for my deductible.

Reader1

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/21 08:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our SIL and DD were pulling their TT. A deer ran out in front of them and he jerked the steering wheel, the deer hit the passenger side, the truck and trailer also rolled over. They were not going very fast. Both were totaled. Once a TT is on it's side the structural integrity is not the same.

OkieGene

oklahoma city

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/21 09:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well at least you weren't hurt in the incident.

It's my opinion based on my observations that often times the damage gets even worse when the tow truck company rights the trailer back on its wheels.

Some tow truck/wrecker companies are more conscientious and have more patience and experience and tools/equipment to get things back upright.

Some are outright jerks and they tear the **** out of the rig righting it. I'm thinking especially of a well known and popular tow truck/wrecker service on the West Coast who has a YouTube channel. You can see for yourself how they just destroy many things they touch. And no, I'm not going to name them, you can probably find them on your own. It's not just an eye opener, it's a jaw dropper to see them work.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/21 09:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mr_andyj wrote:

If you enter an intersection under green or yellow then the intersection is YOURS! It does not matter if it turns red AFTER you enter the intersection. The law states "do not enter intersection under RED". Other drivers HAVE to wait for you to exit the intersection before moving through. No need to tear through and crash just because you saw yellow or red after the fact.

No, not correct.

Traffic signal rules

Specifically yellow signal..

"YELLOW—A yellow signal light warns you that the red signal is about to appear. When you see the yellow light, you should stop, if you can do so safely. If you can't stop, look out for vehicles that may enter the intersection when the light changes."

Yellow does not give you the right to gun it ("accelleryeller style points" are not awarded for that move).

Your logic is as bad as the guy I got to watch one morning decide that a solid green light on a left turn across traffic meant he had full right of way (he didn't have full right of way).. He was almost dead wrong when the semi T boned his vehicle pushing his vehicle into a concrete barrier and then spun 180 degrees and ended up the wrong direction on the ramp he so badly wanted to get on to.. I pulled over to see if he was alive and he started arguing that the trucker did not have the right of way.. I stated that the trucker indeed had full right of way and the driver of the car making that left turn did not have the green ARROW (which would have meant opposing traffic had red) and solid green in this case is supposed to yield right of way to oncoming traffic.. That traffic light even has a sign stating left turn must yield to traffic on solid green.

Yellow means that you should prepare to stop, if you can't stop safely stop then proceed with caution.

I have an intersection 1/4 mile from my house, has a blinking light with red blinking on two sides and yellow blinking on two sides and it is surprising the many accidents that happen there nearly on a weekly basis because folks totally ignore proper etiquette and not stopping on the red blinker and not being cautious on the yellow blinker.. Have seen many deaths at that intersection, not sure it was worth it to be in such a hurry.

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/29/21 04:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Start shopping, that one is toast. Glad you didn't get hurt.

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/21 05:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have or want to learn the skills you can buy the salvage from your insurance, run a little duct tape to get your camping done, and when you have time do a project to repair the trailer and end up with a cheep paid for trailer.

You will have to handle the endless "what happened?" interviews from folks until you get it fixed.

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/21 07:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

protel wrote:

My understanding is there shouldn't be too much to the damage to the bottom frame and wheel? Plus TT doesn't have all these power chain like TV, so safty wise should I worry about too much?

Other than that I can live with scrtches and potential junk it in two years or three if the buy back price is <5k.

No, stick it fork in it. It's done. Rollover recoveries of TTs are nearly impossible to do without causing additional damage. The walls simply bolt to the end of each frame outrigger, probably 24 or 36 on center. And probably only a 3/8" bolt. Your trailer appears to have wood framing under the skin? If this is the case, or even with most light-gauge aluminum framing, the bolts just pull through. Even just partial separation will mean the frame isn't true anymore, and things will come apart more in the future.

About the only thing you can do with the chassis is pull the body, part out the appliances, and turn it into a flatbed.

FWIW - My own trailer rolled after the A-frame broke (after I hit a guardrail), and one entire side separated from the chassis. It was a Weekend warrior so it was also wood framing under the composite skin, but it was bolted far better than any TT since it was a toy hauler.

I also ran ran wreckers in Corvallis to pay for grad-school. Not a single RV rollover we ever did had a salvageable body.

I take one old TT and turn it into a nice rafting trailer!

The good news is Oregon insurance requirements are very favorable to the policy holder. Your policy will cover your trailer's full like-replacement model. And 1-year old TTs are worth just as much as new ones at the moment. The upgraded policy pays full MSRP for a new-equivalent model for the first 5 years if you have a total loss. But you should be able to effectively replace yours with little out of pocket. If you can't find an equivalent replacement for their settlement value, don't take it. They'll have to make good.

Last note on insurance... on the recovery side... I never really had any customers that had to fight with Geico. I can't say the same about other carriers.

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/21 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before you get another one you might want to rethink how to pull one !!! You are not able to drive as if you don't have a high long unit that doesn't
handle like a utility trailer!!

2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

RetiredRealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/21 07:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rlw999 wrote:

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

I was in a business for a number of years where I dealt with numerous auto insurers. Glad you had a single good experience with Geico, but in dealing with most of the major carriers on a regular basis, I can tell you that your experience was the exception to the rule.

I've had 2 good experience with Geico over the 10 years I've been with them. One was a comprehensive claim, someone damaged both drivers side doors trying to pry the door open, Geico paid $4000 to replace the door and have the whole side of the car repainted/blended. The body shop quoted an aftermarket door but since the car was nearly brand new, I asked for an OEM door and Geico agreed.

The other claim was a after a USPS truck pulled out from a side street and hit the side of the car. I made a claim through Geico, they sent me a check (minus my deductible) within a week of getting the estimate. Then every month for the next 14 months they called to say they were still trying to get the USPS to pay the claim. The USPS finally paid and Geico sent me a check for my deductible.

Good for you in getting a new door. One problem I had with Geico (numerous times) is that they seem to like used parts, aftermarket parts, and Chinese-made parts -- all of which are a no-no on relatively new vehicles. They just seem to take advantage of those that don't understand the difference.

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> 1 month old TT totaled?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.