cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

love the truck hate the ride

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
I think a lot of us have seen that phrase more than once. Is there an air seat out there in the commercial market that worked for you or another solution that works as well or better. Thanks for your help.
16 REPLIES 16

BackOfThePack
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
Whenever I see a truck driver on an air ride seat they're bouncing up and down like they're trying to saddle break a wild horse. Head's bouncing off the roof of the truck, neck snaps to the side as they hit bottom. How they're not all in the hospital with concussions and whiplash is beyond me. How they can maintain control of the truck is beyond me. How that is better than just dealing with a bump here and there is... beyond me.

I looked at your profile and see you're driving a 2017 Dodge 2500. The ride is too rough for you? What suspension mods have you done to the truck?

Every big truck out there has air-ride seats, air-ride cab and air-ride chassis. Most trailers are also air-ride.

The seats are of varying quality. Some have a greater selection of controls to adjust ride motions. But you sure arenโ€™t paying attention to have made those comments. It takes a road so bad to get those seat motions you and the big truck might be traveling 12-15/mph on upaved washboard roads with oncoming traffic and unavoidable potholes. Itโ€™s the guy in the pickup will be the first to come off the seat.

Correct tire pressure is first. Solo, after weighing on the CAT Scale, adjust tire pressure inside the pickup manufacturer range down to the lowest allowed by the Load & Pressure Table FF & RR. (Shocks are good maybe 40k miles; upgrade to better quality).

Ideal tire pressure solves most problems. If I can run (and do) an average of 120k miles on tires where the minimum necessary pressure SOLO doesnโ€™t require change when the truck hits RAWR (and GVWR) after hooking my 35โ€™ TT, then the ride motions come down to the designed suspension.

An empty work truck wonโ€™t ever ride well. If a 1T type you need about 1,000-lbs in the bed to get whatโ€™s โ€œnormalโ€. A 1/2T, probably 500-lbs. You bought a pickup that runs around empty while solo, you bought the wrong vehicle.

NATIONAL SEAT used to make bases and seats that fit 1T pickups. KELDERMANN, air ride suspensions for same.

FWIW, I use PURPLE brand X-Large seat cushion and separate lumbar cushion to take the cracks out of the road. Couldnโ€™t do my job in a semi without them any longer (age and injury).

But Iโ€™d still rather run 550-miles in a KW than 350-miles in my Dodge with its usual 1,100-lbs in the bed. Air-ride seats would be a worthwhile upgrade to that vehicle.

In the meantime, the straighter you sit in the seat and being close to the wheel & pedals (no โ€œreachโ€ to top of wheel), no pressure under seat edge at knees but high as possible otherwise, is best for reduced fatigue. POSTURE is everything.

You need to lose 50-150/lbs, do it. Fat boys ALWAYS fatigue sooner and complain louder. (Fat boy = Mamaโ€™s boy no matter his age).

1). Tire Pressure per certified scale values.
2). New shock absorbers
3). Aids to posture (angles & top cushion).
4). Planned stops EVERY two hours for 15โ€
5). Hour break after four hours drive.
6). No more than 300-mile/day with trailer.

โ€” Plan the driving day in advance. Know EVERY stop and plan the day at 50-mph average as this accounts for rest breaks. EXECUTE as trip legs, since no leg is much more than 100-miles or about 2-hours. Moving along steadily at 62-64/mph is LESS fatiguing and keeps you out of trouble (out of traffic moving faster).

โ€” At these speeds youโ€™ll achieve higher MPG, and be operating FAR closer to what an RV can do in terms of braking & steering control (worst vehicles on the road. Claims of skill being operative make you sound the fool you are).

โ€” Doing the same work in the same region my last big truck at a set speed of 64-mph AVERAGED 58-MPH, while an equally experienced friend in pretty well the same job ran 70-MPH, but โ€” instead of seeing a 6-MPH lower average, consistently was 8-MPH lower for his true average (Qualcomm satellite truck data) over 2500-3500/miles. Traffic volume dictates average speed. And only a damned fool spends time in the left lane.

Running faster IS NOT faster when the AVERAGE is plotted. Itโ€™s higher stress ALWAYS. Stress just makes the vehicle ride that much worse again. I daily get passed by the same RVs running 6-MPH or faster than me. But they donโ€™t cover their 300-miles faster than me.. They compensate with more + longer breaks from the road.

Thereโ€™s NO significant time savings. (And WHY would that matter? Answer that). There IS a higher stress penalty. AND the rig canโ€™t be effectively maneuvered or braked until speed is down to or below 50-mph given trailer drum brakes and typical hitch rigging.

Ease along. Enjoy the stops. And, if you want to get there sooner . . leave earlier.

All of the above contributes to the body being able to deal with muh bad ride.

With my TT hitched I usually have one stop at a rest area before my mid-day break (which is ALWAYS well before noon). I get fuel at the truckstop โ€” as Iโ€™m 200-miles or still about above a half-tank of fuel โ€” then ease along to another rest area closest for the one-hour break. Mapped the night before. After lunch I might have another 100-miles or so. Depending on whether Interstate or US Highways (my rig is 62โ€™, I tend to stay on bigger roads until TT parked) the MPH average drops in going to NON-limited access roadways, so I have a large window of arrival which included time for unknown problems. But the plan is to arrive at no later than 1500.

400-miles is The Wall. Onset of white-line fever. Everyone. None are exempt. Not age or experience or conditions. Not vehicle spec. The body starts to rebel AND THIS IS WHAT MUH BAD RIDE is all about.

Set limits. Write a plan. Execute according to best practice (safety). 300-miles or three oโ€™clock . . as what matters with an RV traveling safely & comfortably โ€” day after day โ€” is no different in 2021 than it was in 1971. I was out there then, and now.

2004 555 CTD QC LB NV-5600
1990 35โ€™ Silver Streak

Wadcutter
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sulastic
Very well made and they work. Easy to install.
Camped in every state

ronbiel
Explorer
Explorer
Upgrading the suspension can improve the ride of your truck.

What's the size of your dually wheels? Running smaller rims will allow you to have more rubber. This can help also.

ib516
Explorer
Explorer
I think you'd have a hard time fitting an air seat into a modern pick up without butchering things badly and causing an airbag light.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
Dadoffourgirls wrote:
I drove a 2020 Silverado Reg Cab Dually for over a year. Was just an LT, and the seats were not bad, and ride was not as smooth as others, but not unbearable.

My '20 CC DRW 4X4 has a ride that I would call..Rigid. I could lower the psi some and that would likely help some. Handles weight well, the towing capability is a huge improvement over the 06 CC DRW that it replaced and it is worth the loss in ride quality for the increase in capacity.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Whenever I see a truck driver on an air ride seat they're bouncing up and down like they're trying to saddle break a wild horse. Head's bouncing off the roof of the truck, neck snaps to the side as they hit bottom. How they're not all in the hospital with concussions and whiplash is beyond me. How they can maintain control of the truck is beyond me. How that is better than just dealing with a bump here and there is... beyond me.

I looked at your profile and see you're driving a 2017 Dodge 2500. The ride is too rough for you? What suspension mods have you done to the truck?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
I drove a 2020 Silverado Reg Cab Dually for over a year. Was just an LT, and the seats were not bad, and ride was not as smooth as others, but not unbearable.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
What 12V98 and the dog said ^^^^^^!
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Road Phantom wrote:
I didn't mention the truck I'm interested in is a reg cab dually. Crew cabs ride better due to a longer wheel base.

Unloaded lower rears to 30psi. Inflate rears to proper inflation for actual load.

^ This. And if that really isn't enough...call Keldermann or maybe try Sulastic shackles. I've never used them but many claim to soften the ride.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Road Phantom wrote:
I didn't mention the truck I'm interested in is a reg cab dually. Crew cabs ride better due to a longer wheel base.

Unloaded lower rears to 30psi. Inflate rears to proper inflation for actual load.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer

M_R_E_
Explorer
Explorer
I don't understand the ride. I have a '16 Ram Big Horn crewcab, short box CTD that rides better then Ford 150's. Lower the rear tire pressure from 80 psi when not towing. If it's the seat, you must have a Tradesman model. Just get a seat out of a Big Horn or better. Mine are real comfortable.
toolmaker

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
Aux fuel tank, tool box with tools,etc. A little weight will help.

BILDER
Explorer
Explorer
United Group Inc, at one time IIRC they sold complete pickup seats to replace OEM, they are in Northern Illinois