cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tranny fluid change

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Got 70,000 miles on the current ATF oil, so today it and the spin-on filter got changed. I also dropped the pan to see if there was any sludge and it was clean. Love this Duramax/Allison combo.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE
60 REPLIES 60

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
2015 user guide simply says "Change automatic transmission fluid" or "Change automatic transmission fluid and filter(s)" then goes on to give intervals.

I see nowhere partial fluid change. Common sense tells me it's better to change "ALL" fluid if possible.

People do what you want and I shall also. Funny how it rubs some the wrong way when I suggest changing all if possible.

Yes, youโ€™re right, and yes youโ€™re wrongโ€ฆ
I too prefer the fluid replacement method getting all or nearly all the fluid out and replaced at once. However that is not how the maint intervals are called for on the Aisin. Itโ€™s basically half the fluid each time.
Maybe no coincidence that the intervals seem about 2x as frequent as they would seem to be.

If I could figure out how to get it all exchanged I would simply do the service every 60k instead of every 30.

Some day I may call AISIN to see if they can spec a drain plug location in the torque converter.

I had a plug installed on my Turbo 400 at 30k and shifted like new with around 450k when I sold it.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
My wifeโ€™s 2005 Acura MDX called for a transmission service that entailed draining the transmission, filling, driving, and then repeating 2 additional times for a transfer of 9 litres. I simply drained the transmission every second oil change and refilled (3 litres each time) and the fluid was like new right up until we sold it this past spring. So for the Ram I would do the simple drain and refill as per the book (or more often if it makes you feel better) and call it good.

And itโ€™s very easy to get a full drain and refill on my G56 manual truck! :B
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
2015 user guide simply says "Change automatic transmission fluid" or "Change automatic transmission fluid and filter(s)" then goes on to give intervals.

I see nowhere partial fluid change. Common sense tells me it's better to change "ALL" fluid if possible.

People do what you want and I shall also. Funny how it rubs some the wrong way when I suggest changing all if possible.

Yes, youโ€™re right, and yes youโ€™re wrongโ€ฆ
I too prefer the fluid replacement method getting all or nearly all the fluid out and replaced at once. However that is not how the maint intervals are called for on the Aisin. Itโ€™s basically half the fluid each time.
Maybe no coincidence that the intervals seem about 2x as frequent as they would seem to be.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
GS nice to see you here. I am sure you have missed me on the TDR as my suspension won't be up until August 15th. This thread is nearly two months old, you must be bored.

I stand by my statements saying if possible ALL your transmission fluid should be changed. So far I have not figured out how to do so on the AISIN.

Maybe explain if the AISIN is perfect with partial changes WHY you added a deeper pan to allow for more trans fluid on your truck??? Not criticizing you for doing so because that's what you wanted to do.

2014, it's really simple to do a fluid exchange on the 68, why would you not do it???

It's simple for me, what's the benefit ? Haven't heard of a reason yet, other then do it from you . I can't remember if I have ever heard anyone besides you say to do a complete fluid change on a 68RFE. Pretty sure if I have someone do it ,dealer or otherwise its going to be drop the pan, change the filters ,and refill. If not mistaken that's the recommended way.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
GS nice to see you here. I am sure you have missed me on the TDR as my suspension won't be up until August 15th. This thread is nearly two months old, you must be bored.

I stand by my statements saying if possible ALL your transmission fluid should be changed. So far I have not figured out how to do so on the AISIN.

Maybe explain if the AISIN is perfect with partial changes WHY you added a deeper pan to allow for more trans fluid on your truck??? Not criticizing you for doing so because that's what you wanted to do.

2014, it's really simple to do a fluid exchange on the 68, why would you not do it???

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
gsbrockman wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Are you doing a COMPLETE change???

You simply just donโ€™t give up, do ya?

For any interested AS69RC owners......a โ€œcompleteโ€ exchange is not necessary, basically for a couple of reasons.

First....the service manual does not specify that a โ€œcompleteโ€ exchange is required.

Second.....my previous 2014 RAM 3500 with AS69RC made it to 362k miles with the transmission maintenance being performed basically by the book. Guess what? My current 2018 RAM 4500 with AS69RC is at 357k miles, and is doing great with the same maintenance by the book.

Sure...I may have been over on a few drain and fills by three or four thousand miles, and perhaps a sump filter change by a similar amount, but the 2014 and 2018 have been superb.

Finally a breath of fresh air.:B Same with my 68RFE , no interest in a complete fluid change. Stupid me ๐Ÿ™‚

gsbrockman
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Are you doing a COMPLETE change???

You simply just donโ€™t give up, do ya?

For any interested AS69RC owners......a โ€œcompleteโ€ exchange is not necessary, basically for a couple of reasons.

First....the service manual does not specify that a โ€œcompleteโ€ exchange is required.

Second.....my previous 2014 RAM 3500 with AS69RC made it to 362k miles with the transmission maintenance being performed basically by the book. Guess what? My current 2018 RAM 4500 with AS69RC is at 357k miles, and is doing great with the same maintenance by the book.

Sure...I may have been over on a few drain and fills by three or four thousand miles, and perhaps a sump filter change by a similar amount, but the 2014 and 2018 have been superb.
2022 RAM 5500 Tradesman Cab & Chassis, 6.7L CTD & AS69RC, 4.44 ratio, 225/70R19.5 Hankooks, 60 inch C/A, 52+22 gal tanks, Aluminum Wheels, CM SK Series bed w/B&W Turnover Ball. 63,910 miles and 1,124 hours as of December 30th, 2022. (Average MPH = 56.9)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
Yup.... many magic trucks but only one woman:)

Itโ€™s different in Alberta, think Eastern, WA.

Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

miltvill
Explorer
Explorer
When I had my 2008 Chevy it had the spin on filter which was nice. My 2020 GMC with the 10 speed transmission does not have a dipstick or any place to check the ATF. It is a closed system that I will probably have to take to the dealer to have the ATF changed.
2020 GMC Denali\Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab
Sold-Trail Cruiser TC23QB

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4ord wrote:

Itโ€™s different in Alberta, think Eastern, WA.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
^Interesting.
I havenโ€™t done it yet, but on the 68rfe I recall reading about disconnecting back by the trans to do a fluid replacement. Maybe to bypass a thermostat that recycles fluid until hot, like you experienced.

68 is easy, drivers side up high behind radiator if I remember correctly. Slip a hose over end of line and into bucket.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Huntindog wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"I also use used oil in the gasket, can always remove by hand and not a leak yet."

The "YET" part is what scares me. If the filter says tighten a certain amount after contact I do so. Honestly if a filter can be removed by hand after 5-15,000 miles that is loose IMHO.

Ron, tighten by hand the 3/4 turn past gasket contact, it is tight. I didnโ€™t say it spun off easily at change. I wear a playtex rubber kitchen glove for heat resistance and better grip. I have been doing this way since an oil and filter change on Dadโ€™s 59 Ford 352. Destroyed the spin on filter getting it off had gone on with clean oil on the gasket, and likely a full turn after gasket contact, that was about 1967,!
The 2001 ran 10k between changes.

Mechanics trick: use old oil on the gasket. Then it will always release for the next change out.... Do not worry about a couple of drops of old oil on the gasket.

If you had followed I on page 2 suggested using dirty oil on the gasket to the OP. In that post I stated I have been doing that since 1967 when I did battle with a spin-on filter on my dads car.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5