Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Tranny fluid change
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tranny fluid change

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/21 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^ Some transmissions have a bypass valve that allows fluid to bypass the cooler unless it is hot.

2021 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/21 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

If anyone has figured out how to do a fluid exchange on an AISIN please post method. IMHO it's stupid to not remove all the fluid.

Doesn't Ram include fresh clean fluid when you order a new 2022. Just think it would come with fresh engine oil, tranny oil, new brakes, tires and antifreeze. New paint and chrome, new seats, updated nav system, 425 HP and 1075 lbft of torque plus bumper to bumper warranty and all for just three easy payments of $9,000 plus a 1/2 worn out, tired old sheep that is ready to be turned out to pasture. What are you waiting for ... or if you really want to have something to get cranked up about you could turn off one block sooner.

I have always liked how you can rationalize buying a new truck when the mood hits. [emoticon]

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/21 09:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Man, some of you guys are just incessant!
That said, 12V, why couldn’t you do a trans fluid replacement like any other trans via the cooler line?

When it was time for my Son's 15 to be serviced we poped the line by the radiator all we got out was a dribble. My 11 68rfe worked like a dream.

Sounds like there is some type of solenoid on the side of the trans. Wish I knew where to safely tap the converter.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/21 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^Interesting.
I haven’t done it yet, but on the 68rfe I recall reading about disconnecting back by the trans to do a fluid replacement. Maybe to bypass a thermostat that recycles fluid until hot, like you experienced.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/21 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

4x4ord wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

If anyone has figured out how to do a fluid exchange on an AISIN please post method. IMHO it's stupid to not remove all the fluid.

Doesn't Ram include fresh clean fluid when you order a new 2022. Just think it would come with fresh engine oil, tranny oil, new brakes, tires and antifreeze. New paint and chrome, new seats, updated nav system, 425 HP and 1075 lbft of torque plus bumper to bumper warranty and all for just three easy payments of $9,000 plus a 1/2 worn out, tired old sheep that is ready to be turned out to pasture. What are you waiting for ... or if you really want to have something to get cranked up about you could turn off one block sooner.

I have always liked how you can rationalize buying a new truck when the mood hits. [emoticon]

Yeah, I feel sorry for the poor sob’s that get 4x’s used trucks. I’ve never been able
to subscribe to the run until you trade it in, maintenance be dammned, approach.

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/21 12:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^^Trucks don’t need maintenance. It costs virtually nothing to replace a truck. Women on the other hand, they need maintenance.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/21 01:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

^^^^Trucks don’t need maintenance. It costs virtually nothing to replace a truck. Women on the other hand, they need maintenance.

Apparently you have magic trucks and the wrong women...

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/21 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yup.... many magic trucks but only one woman[emoticon]

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/21 03:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

rhagfo wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

"I also use used oil in the gasket, can always remove by hand and not a leak yet."

The "YET" part is what scares me. If the filter says tighten a certain amount after contact I do so. Honestly if a filter can be removed by hand after 5-15,000 miles that is loose IMHO.

Ron, tighten by hand the 3/4 turn past gasket contact, it is tight. I didn’t say it spun off easily at change. I wear a playtex rubber kitchen glove for heat resistance and better grip. I have been doing this way since an oil and filter change on Dad’s 59 Ford 352. Destroyed the spin on filter getting it off had gone on with clean oil on the gasket, and likely a full turn after gasket contact, that was about 1967,!
The 2001 ran 10k between changes.

Mechanics trick: use old oil on the gasket. Then it will always release for the next change out.... Do not worry about a couple of drops of old oil on the gasket.

If you had followed I on page 2 suggested using dirty oil on the gasket to the OP. In that post I stated I have been doing that since 1967 when I did battle with a spin-on filter on my dads car.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/01/21 08:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

^Interesting.
I haven’t done it yet, but on the 68rfe I recall reading about disconnecting back by the trans to do a fluid replacement. Maybe to bypass a thermostat that recycles fluid until hot, like you experienced.

68 is easy, drivers side up high behind radiator if I remember correctly. Slip a hose over end of line and into bucket.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tranny fluid change
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.