Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Towing Disaster-AAA
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Towing Disaster-AAA

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
soren

Lancaster County PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/21 05:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

AAA has its own tow truck at facility on rt 55 in Durham. May have more than 1

Na, this is just an independent who jumped on the AAA train. We have a guy in our region with a whole fleet of tow vehicles with AAA vehicle wraps all over them. He even has minivans that do nothing but run around installing AAA batteries, and changing flats on smaller vehicles. The business is still an independent, family owned towing service.

Like most experiences here, dealing with this AAA service is hit or miss. Last time I used them it was a cash tow, a couple of hundred feet back to a repair shop, after a fuel pump quit. They took two days to do the job, lied to me on the phone, and pissed off the repair shop to the point that they found a new regular provider.

ol Bombero-JC

USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/21 05:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Should have added to (my) previous post....

AAA ERS, towing is not always *nationally* affiliated.

Many past threads/posts alluding to that.....most seemed to be in the Eastern US.

Your local AAA service may be outstanding - but "out of state" service may have problems!

I have AAA (but *not* for RVs) in my home state. Every time I have used the service (for cars, pickups) it has been excellent.....one time a tow operator was pulling up behind me before I could end the call for service!
(In-tank-fuel pump died - had to give car a push across the intersection...fortunately a slight "down-slope" incline which he witnessed).

BTW: In So CA the DMV services provided by AAA, are always a *pleasure*..[emoticon].. compared to that state agency...[emoticon]

~

joelc

Cedar Point, NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/21 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In N.C. I know that AAA does not cover RV's. I looked into it one time.

PatJ

Eastern WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/21 09:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had good service from AAA over the years for regular vehicle issues but never had an RV plan. I've heard so many RV horror stories about ALL roadside assistance companies recently that I no longer maintain an account as I'm usually in my RV when out of town.

I agree with the group that says carry some cash, as well as a credit card. I plan to call a local tow in the unlikely event I have an issue, and pay whatever they ask.

I'm not carrying thousands of dollars or anything, but a little bit might be helpful. What if there is no breakdown, but your 500 miles from home with 1/4 tank and the card machines are down state/nationwide or they don't take checks? Everyone should carry enough cash to get you home or >500 miles down the road in that situation. I can't imagine any police issues over a couple hundred dollars.

Patrick

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/21 11:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I deleted the trolling & off-topic posts (and a few collateral damage posts that quoted them).

Please stay on topic (and leave the tinfoil hats at home).

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Towing Disaster-AAA
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.