cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Reese ballmount nut replacement

a-d-s
Explorer
Explorer
I rounded off the nuts getting them off my old hitch and need to replace. Do I replace with zinc plated or galvanized? Here is the Reese kit but they don't say what type they are: https://www.reese-hitches.com/products/Bolt_On_Fastener_Kit,58133

Thanks!
2021 F-150 HDPP EcoBoost
2016 Coleman 262BH
Reese Dual Cam - 1200lb
10 REPLIES 10

a-d-s
Explorer
Explorer
Update, in case anyone else is in the same situation: I ended up just buying the Reese 58133 hardware replacement kit ($46 CDN on Amazon.ca).

Normal HW or Auto parts stores around here don't carry grade 8 above 1/2". I found them at a specialty fastener supplier, but they will only sell in bags, not as one offs, so by the time you look at the costs, it's about the same as getting the kit. Which also comes with the serated spacers to set the ball angle, not neccesary to replace but why not for similar price.
2021 F-150 HDPP EcoBoost
2016 Coleman 262BH
Reese Dual Cam - 1200lb

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Any decent hardware store will have grade 8 nuts. You will also likely not find them in hot dipped galvanized.
Don't get too wound up about it, go get some new nuts and if you're worried about rust, antiseize the threads and then paint em once all put together.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Ace should have them, along with grade 8 washers and nuts.
Oops! Forgot you are north of the border. Not sure about your area.
Would your Lordco auto parts have them?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

a-d-s
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the advice. It's got the six marks and a triangle on the head. Google tells me that it's a grade 8, close tolerance bolt. Don't think I'm going to find that at a generic hardware store. I'll call around to see suppliers we use at work.
2021 F-150 HDPP EcoBoost
2016 Coleman 262BH
Reese Dual Cam - 1200lb

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
QCMan is correct. Look at the head of the bolts for identification shown with small bars. Nuts and washers need to be the same grade.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
You need to replace with the same grade nuts. Many nuts will fit but may not be as strong. I know I would not want to risk the integrity of my hitch to save 50 cents each on two nuts. While you are at it, get two new lock washers.
2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
This does not matter. Just use a hitch nut and you will be safe. Use the lock washer too. Grease the threads liberally. A little rust on the nut over time will not matter unless you dip into the ocean all the time or live next to the ocean.
The nut does not need to be crazy tight if the lock washer is used. People go overboard sometimes, but better too tight than not tight enough. Balls with cotter pins are a nice safety feature.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Photo is definitely not galvanized. Nuts and plates appear to be zinc plated. Bolts look to be heat treated and coated with zinc.
Galvanized bolts have thicker coating and do not screw onto standard zinc coated bolts.
A good hardware store with have the hardened bolts and appropriate matching nuts and washers.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hi a-d-s

Your location = good marine industry supply = find some stainless hardware and be done with it.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I always thought galvanized steel was steel platted with zinc to keep it from rusting...
One thing I ran into few weeks ago with some cheap plated fasteners was the thickness of the plating caused a mis-fit in the threads. Had to use tap and die on a dozen brand new fasteners to keep from driving 20 miles round trip.
Might be better to paint bolts, use stainless nuts.