cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Death Wobble Continues ....

TC_Z
Explorer
Explorer
We are aware of the Death Wobble problem. We bought a used 2018 Jeep Cherokee and their special tow harness that prevents DW from occurring. Well despite our efforts DW still occurs when the Jeep hits a bump just right.

Given that we have done everything we are supposed to have to avoid DW, are there any other fixes or adjustments that can be made? Jeep is essentially new, only 15k miles so linkage is tight.

Thanks in advance...
TC&Z
2007 Winn Voyage 38J, gas 8.1L engine
2018 Jeep Cherokee flat tow
30 REPLIES 30

23hotrodr
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a 2020 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk with no issues. Granted, Jeep has resolved this issue at the factory and needs no wiring harness.

My suggestions are like others have said.

o Check front end alignment with caster set to upper limit of recommended spec.

o Tow bar level with Hitch tighteners on all draw bar to receiver connections including drop receiver, if used. This will take a lot of slop out of the tow bar setup and make it much quietter also.

o Make sure the Jeep battery is staying fully charged while towing. We have towed without a charge line, but installed one just in case. A self contained power pack/jump starter could be used if necessary.

o If problem persists- Take to Jeep dealer to confirm towing wiring harness is working correctly.

Good luck with your Cherokee. We love ours as a toad!
2007 Itasca Suncruiser 35L
2000 Jeep Wrangler

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
The OP is asking about a new stock Jeep Cherokee. Not some highly modified and lifted and worn out Wrangler.

This is a known problem with newer Cherokee's and derivatives of the Cherokee. Jeep is aware of the problem and has designed a fix. If the fix has been installed and you still have the problem then the fix is not working for some reason.

Take it back to Jeep and make them resolve the issue. Don't start making modifications, changing the steering geometry or adding shade tree fixes like bungee cords. Take it back to the the vehicle manufacturer and have them fix it.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Ro_n_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Skid Row Joe wrote:
Executive wrote:
My research into the death wobble issue started when I experienced it with my Equinox. What I found was many thing 'can contribute' to a DW but the MOST OFTEN culprit was the power steering in the vehicles. In the Equinox case, it only occurred in the 4 cyl models. This was because it came with electric steering assist instead of hydraulic like the 6 cyl models. After my complaint to NHTSA, GM offered a solution. Instead of pulling the interior fuse, they switched it to the one under the hood. This allowed the power steering module to remain energized and functional while towing. Unfortunately, it also leaves all the other electrical items functional also. This means you should install a battery maintainer in your vehicle while towing to keep the battery charged. IMO, a minor inconvenience. While waiting for GM's 'fix' I installed an eye bolt through the floorboard just in front of the driver's seat. A bungee hooked to the eye bolt to the bottom of the steering wheel worked perfectly. However, GM's fix has cured the DW and I've had zero problems since using their new directions. As I understand it, Jeep has a similar power steering setup and the recall fix was simply a bypass cable for the steering module...hope this helps...Dennis

Dennis, I've got a 2017 Chevrolet Corvette zi bought new 4 years ago. Corvettes have the electric power steering as well. No problems even reported on Corvette Forum.

I agree with Dennis that it's related to electric power steering assist vehicles. Never saw a Corvette being towed and would think numbers are low compared to others commonly used toads. I haven't experienced it yet in my Grand Cherokee either at 14.5K miles of towing.
2020 Dutch Star 4328 on FL Chassis
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
Ready Brute Elite Towbar & Road Master Wiring

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
My research into the death wobble issue started when I experienced it with my Equinox. What I found was many thing 'can contribute' to a DW but the MOST OFTEN culprit was the power steering in the vehicles. In the Equinox case, it only occurred in the 4 cyl models. This was because it came with electric steering assist instead of hydraulic like the 6 cyl models. After my complaint to NHTSA, GM offered a solution. Instead of pulling the interior fuse, they switched it to the one under the hood. This allowed the power steering module to remain energized and functional while towing. Unfortunately, it also leaves all the other electrical items functional also. This means you should install a battery maintainer in your vehicle while towing to keep the battery charged. IMO, a minor inconvenience. While waiting for GM's 'fix' I installed an eye bolt through the floorboard just in front of the driver's seat. A bungee hooked to the eye bolt to the bottom of the steering wheel worked perfectly. However, GM's fix has cured the DW and I've had zero problems since using their new directions. As I understand it, Jeep has a similar power steering setup and the recall fix was simply a bypass cable for the steering module...hope this helps...Dennis

Dennis, I've got a 2017 Chevrolet Corvette zi bought new 4 years ago. Corvettes have the electric power steering as well. No problems even reported on Corvette Forum.

TC_Z
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Are you positive that the harness is working and powering the steering like it should?

To some of the other folks replying, great โ€œgeneralโ€ suggestions as DW can be caused by many different things. But imo this issue is likely the power steering issue.
Bottom line, vehicles are beginning to get too smart to use for other purposes.

I flip the switch on the Jeep interior wiring harness, then open the hood and install the fuse. When I install the fuse I hear a faint "whine" so believe the power steering is being powered as intended....

Thanks
TC&Z

TC_Z
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Is your tow bar dead level? Not pointing up to the MH?

We have a drop down so the tow bar is level. Thanks....
TC&Z

Ken_C
Explorer
Explorer
TC&Z wrote:
We are aware of the Death Wobble problem. We bought a used 2018 Jeep Cherokee and their special tow harness that prevents DW from occurring. Well despite our efforts DW still occurs when the Jeep hits a bump just right.

Given that we have done everything we are supposed to have to avoid DW, are there any other fixes or adjustments that can be made? Jeep is essentially new, only 15k miles so linkage is tight.
not have been in=
Thanks in advance...

Just a thought. Have you verified that the power steering is active after setting it up for towing - i.e. have you tried turning the steering wheel after inserting the fuse and turning on the switch for the harness installed. The steering should turn easily since the power steering is active. If not, it may not have been installed correctly. We have a 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk that we have towed approx 40K miles that has the harness installed and it corrected the problem.
Ken
2018 Newmar Dutchstar
Spartan K2
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
I certainly believe it is the electric power steering that is the major contributor to DW. While we never towed out 2004 Malibu Maxx, it had a similar oddity at low speeds - the steering wheel would do a mild DW in my hands while the engine was at near idle, and making sharp turns as one would do in a parking lot. It was disconcerting, but never enough that would cause a problem. If we had towed that car, we may have encountered DW!

Our 2012 Canyon has hydraulic power steering, BTW. I was surprised it still had the old hydraulic when we purchased it.
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many vehicles have neither.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
lryrob9301 wrote:
Harvard wrote:
Set caster to upper end of specified range.

This would be the proper repair except most vehicles today have non-adjustable Caster and Camber settings.

They have Castor adjustment but don't have camber adjustment.

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Including the Cherokee, which uses MacPherson struts.

This has been true on many vehicles since the 1980s.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
Harvard wrote:

This would be the proper repair except most vehicles today have non-adjustable Caster and Camber settings.

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer