Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: More Stuck Camper Jacks
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> More Stuck Camper Jacks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/21 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seems to be a common problem with sticking camper jacks.

Two of mine are stuck. Trying to get them unstuck ASAP as they are delaying a trip.

I bought 2 new power heads for the better part of $1000 and that wasn’t even what was wrong! Ugh.

I installed the new heads and still the clicking of the clutches or gears slipping.

So now it’s obvious my legs themselves are stuck.

I bought a drill adapter on Amazon for Rieco Titan jacks for $26 and it was too small. Didn’t fit. Losing a ton of money and time here.

What other ways have you used to link a drill up to Rieco Titan camper jacks? A socket or something?

I want to use a nice, high power drill to get these legs moving and to raise and lower them many times, apply grease, etc.

Thanks!

* This post was edited 05/29/21 08:40am by HadEnough *

jimh406

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/21 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve never had my jacks stick, but they are Atwoods. I’m assuming you tried different lubricants, and they aren’t bent.

There seems to be a lot of possibilities and a few fixes. Try searching google for “rieco titan jacks are stuck” if you haven’t already.

This thread seems to have a lot of ideas. https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29378389.cfm

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/21 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry. In giving all the details, I may not have been clear on the question:

I would like to spin the part that moves the jack with a drill, instead of using the powerhead, which isn’t moving it.

Does anyone know what I can use to mate a drill to the top of the jack with the power head off?

I ordered this, but it was too small.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005GOPC2........_asin_title#immersive-view_1622300488802

[image]

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/21 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, I was able to mate a drill to the thing that needs to spin at the top of the jack. I broke the tip off a 1 inch spade drill bit and used it like a huge flathead screwdriver.

No good.

The leg won’t budge. I super liquid wrench down it before. In desperation, I dumped a ton of motor oil down it today.

Nothing. 2 legs are completely frozen and won’t budge.

Any other thoughts on how to get them moving again?

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/21 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ATF soaking it overnight has freed things up for me in the past. Marvell Mystery Oil and PB Blaster have also worked after soaking in. Are they over run and jammed or just corroded in place? If corroded, a couple of whacks with wood block from the top and bottom may free the threads.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE

RickW

Sacramento CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/29/21 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have atwood jacks but, I made a back up driver head starting with a deep, 9/16 inch, 12 point, 3/8 inch drive socket. I sawed a groove down the middle wide enough to engage the pins on the jack shaft. I also have a 3/8 inch drive extension that fits in the drill chuck.

Good luck.

Rick
04 GMC 1500 4X4X4
04 Sunlite SB

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/21 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bedlam wrote:

ATF soaking it overnight has freed things up for me in the past. Marvell Mystery Oil and PB Blaster have also worked after soaking in. Are they over run and jammed or just corroded in place? If corroded, a couple of whacks with wood block from the top and bottom may free the threads.

They are corroded and stuck into place in the middle of the stroke.

The camper is sitting on the jacks right now and has been for 8 months. They were a little sticky before, but are stuck hard now.

I’ll try some overnight soaks and some whacks.

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/21 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RickW wrote:

I have atwood jacks but, I made a back up driver head starting with a deep, 9/16 inch, 12 point, 3/8 inch drive socket. I sawed a groove down the middle wide enough to engage the pins on the jack shaft. I also have a 3/8 inch drive extension that fits in the drill chuck.

Good luck.

That’s a decent idea. Probably would work better than my spade bit. More stable.

parker.rowe

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/21 12:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bedlam wrote:

I second ATF. I have had more luck freeing stuck engines with ATF and PB than motor oil.

Should work similarly with a jack, if it can be unstuck.

2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/21 02:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

parker.rowe wrote:

Bedlam wrote:

I second ATF. I have had more luck freeing stuck engines with ATF and PB than motor oil.

Should work similarly with a jack, if it can be unstuck.

Ok, I’ll pick some up this afternoon and dump that down it too.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> More Stuck Camper Jacks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.