Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What to use for GPS
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> What to use for GPS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Mondooker

Florida Gulf Coast

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/21 06:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don’t know, I have found that CoPilot for RV with their off-line maps is an incredibly powerful GPS with no Internet required. Someone said CoPilot led them down the wrong road! All I know after thousands of miles in all kinds of places it has never led me wrong.

Make sure you get the occasional upgrades and always download the new maps and you will be good. CoPilot makes a GPS for truckers and that is really telling. It is known as one of the best ones out there. As you can imagine truckers must have the right and best in directions and also the amount of time to get there. It’s a route planner and you don’t get much better than that.

My Garmin decided to recalculate just outside Indianapolis, IN putting me someplace I should not have been! With off line maps there is no recalculation or need for internet.

Try it you’ll like it... Hey Mikey!

joelc

Cedar Point, NC

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/21 06:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you using the program "Garmin Express" for updates. I have a garmin and no problems "yet". If they are supposed to give you free updates then I would email or call them.

RetiredRealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/21 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azdryheat wrote:

I've been using Google Maps on my phone to navigate the country. Normally it shows me 3 different routes to chose from. It's free and reliable. However, I like to check it against a hard map. I use the Motor Carrier's Atlas, which shows me approved trucker routes.

^^^what he said -- why bother with something additional that you've got to buy in the first place, then you've got to upgrade, when google maps on your cell phone is all you need?

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/21 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

viajante wrote:

Thanks everyone. It appears Garmin is using another company for updates, which requires charging me again. That really stinks...

What about cell RV map apps? We love google maps as they always have the latest info. Unfortunately, Google does not provide assistance to rv'ers! Used Google one time in Oregon for our motorhome and ended up on a road only wide enough for us! Really hairy.

So anyone out there using a cell app that gives RV map info that they like?

Dave
Yes I bought a Copilot RV app years ago for $6.99 it allows you to input the ht. of your RV and routes you around propane tunnels. Once down loaded to your cell phone or Ipad it is a standalone GPS, no cell towers needed. It has automatic updates unlike my previous Garmin's. After spending a small fortune on these Garmin GPS's I decided to give this APP a try rather than spending another $400 plus on an new RV specific gps, I would never buy another Garmin.

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/21 07:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

viajante wrote:

Thanks everyone. It appears Garmin is using another company for updates, which requires charging me again. That really stinks...

What about cell RV map apps? We love google maps as they always have the latest info. Unfortunately, Google does not provide assistance to rv'ers! Used Google one time in Oregon for our motorhome and ended up on a road only wide enough for us! Really hairy.

So anyone out there using a cell app that gives RV map info that they like?

Dave

Updated my Garmin Nuvi 57 LMT today using Garmin Express and had no problems. I'll try our older Nuvi 255 tomorrow.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> What to use for GPS
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.