Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: How long to build Class A Gas motorhome
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> How long to build Class A Gas motorhome

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/21 07:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mondooker wrote:

Hey dougrainer, I’m curious about something. When he ordered the motorhome did he get an invoice with all the pricing? And even more critical, did the invoice contain a VIN number?

My invoice shows all those things and I don’t know how, regardless of how things have gone up, they could increase my price? Not when my coach is VIN specific.

Doesn't matter what an invoice shows as you have not purchased anything until you sign the final paperwork. Unless there is verbiage in some agreement that was signed by both you and the seller guaranteeing the quoted price they can do whatever they wish. I would bet they have themselves covered legally. Who is going to eat the price increase? The dealer? Manufacturer? I doubt it.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/21 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GDS-3950BH wrote:

Mondooker wrote:

Hey dougrainer, I’m curious about something. When he ordered the motorhome did he get an invoice with all the pricing? And even more critical, did the invoice contain a VIN number?

My invoice shows all those things and I don’t know how, regardless of how things have gone up, they could increase my price? Not when my coach is VIN specific.

Doesn't matter what an invoice shows as you have not purchased anything until you sign the final paperwork. Unless there is verbiage in some agreement that was signed by both you and the seller guaranteeing the quoted price they can do whatever they wish. I would bet they have themselves covered legally. Who is going to eat the price increase? The dealer? Manufacturer? I doubt it.

Almost ALL Dealer and OEM contracts state that price increases can happen and the final cost will be determined at delivery to the dealer. UNLESS, (dealer would be stupid) you have a NO price increase clause in your contract for the ordered unit, you should be able to buy at your agreed upon price. IF you have a price increase, the only option is to walk away. What makes this a sticky subject is IF you gave him your RV as an early trade and they have sold it. THEN it depends on what the contract states for handling reimbursement for your Trade. Doug

Alex and Tee

Jacksonville , FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/21 03:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We placed the order for our Tiffin Allegro on 3/31. As of yesterday (6/1) I spoke with the Tiffin rep and our bus isn't even in the build schedule yet. When we placed the order we were told 16-20 weeks which would put us end of August at the high end. The rep told us once it's in the schedule it would take 10 weeks. Honestly, I'm thinking end of September is when we'll see it.

Alex & Teresa

2022 Allegro Open Road
2021 Colorado 4x4

wallynm

Los Alamos NM

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/21 07:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we ordered ours we had an invoice printed out the same day. No Vin Number was given. No increase in price when it arrived. Of course that was in 2002.

Mondooker wrote:

Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/21 07:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mondooker wrote:

Why would you think the VIN would have anything to do with final cost? You engage a builder to build you a new house. You HAVE the VIN(123 Main Street your town). You don't think materials will increase on some of the components that go into building a house? The VIN just means they HAVE your chassis in stock at time of order. But, they still have to get it into the production schedule and component prices can increase in the time they take to build a new unit. Doug

DSDP Don

Moorpark, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/05/21 08:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's how our Newmar Dutch Star order went.....we contacted our dealer who orders between 100 and 120 Class A's a year. The ordering takes place at a dealer meeting every year in May. He may order 40 gassers and 60 diesels, some Spartan chassis and some Freightliner.

We met with the dealer and he looked at his upcoming deliveries and showed us when the next available (not spoken for) coach was coming up for build. We selected a Freightliner in July, that would be completed and at the dealership November 6th. Newmar has a very strict schedule that they keep to.

We had so many days, before a cutoff date, to make changes and add options. We submitted those, agreed upon a price and gave a deposit. We knew exactly what date our chassis would go into the build shop, so we flew back to Indiana. On the first day, we saw our chassis sitting at the back door of the build shop. It had already been to the welding shop, where they add all the structure to the frame rails, generator, tanks and flooring. Pretty much anything under the floor level is added at the welding shop. It took two weeks to do the welding.

We attended two tours a day, at the factory, for three days. We saw our chassis go in the door in the morning tour of the first day, by the second tour, mid afternoon, it had the bathroom framing and both walls with the two small slides installed. The second day it got the fiberglass wall installed, both caps and wiring routed. The third day, the bay doors, FWS and roof were added. Furniture was installed and woodwork completed inside. By the end of the third day, it was done and moving out the back door to the paint shop. At that time in 2019, Newmar was running 11 RV's a day through the factory. You could have a King Aire (1 million dollars) running through the factory, right next to a Bay Star gasser.

Painting took another two weeks. After that the coach was placed in a lot and scheduled for a transport company to drive it to the dealership. At that time, 2018, the coach arrived the day it was scheduled to be at the dealer, when we made the deal in July.

So long story, the entire coach was assembled in three days, but chassis prep took two weeks and paint took two weeks. The longest waiting period was the scheduling. It was schedule in May for an October build, so there was a lot of lead time.

This year, since Flexsteel dropped out of the RV furniture segment, along with Covid, Newmar ran into shortages of furniture and awnings (Girard). It slowed down delivery of many coaches by months.

Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Rick Jay

Greater Springfield area, MA

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/21 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DSDP Don,

That is so cool!!! Being able to watch your rig being built pretty much from the ground up, day by day!!! Wow!

GREAT story, thanks for sharing.

~Rick

2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (24-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (20), 2 boys (21 & 18).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

Hikerdogs

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/21 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

During a "normal" year it usually takes about 4 months from the time the unit is ordered to the time it's delivered. That makes the assumptions chassis are available when ordered, body and systems parts are available to the body builder, and they have a full compliment of employees to build it.

Over the last year due to Covid we've seen a shortage of parts to build the chassis, a shortage of parts for the body builders, a shortage of employees, and an unusually large number of orders. All things combined I would venture to guess 6 months between ordering and delivery would be the shortest time span to expect.

Talking to our local Ford truck dealer I was informed they are getting about 1/3 of the units they order in a timely manner (3 to 4 months) many models are backordered with no definite delivery time.

Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

Alex and Tee

Jacksonville , FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/21 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We ordered our Tiffin with liquid springs and the Tiffin rep said they are only getting 1-2 chassis a week with liquid springs.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> How long to build Class A Gas motorhome
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.