Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Amazon devices will soon automatically share your Internet
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Amazon devices will soon automatically share your Internet

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/21 04:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have no interest or need for any of those devices that hackers can use against you. I am not that lazy to want any of those JB devices at 74 years young.

Dtank

USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/21 03:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Hmm, I don't use Alexa, have the microphone physically non-working. Don't have Ring, Echo, security cams, or outdoor connected lights. Nor Tile, or any of the other stuff. Sometimes being a semi-Luddite is a good thing. [emoticon]

The mom's & dad's who chose "Alexa" as their daughter's name a few years ago......are conspiring to send Bezos into the far outer reaches of space when he takes his flight!!

[emoticon]

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/21 04:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thomasmnile wrote:

I'm still trying to figure out how they would access bandwidth on another router but that's way beyond my pay grade. Thanks for the info OP.

Believe they would access it through your Amazon device, if you don't opt out. If your neighbors loses it's network connection with his network, the device would link to your device if in range, and then would have access to the inner-web through your device.

It should be criminal for Amazon to make the default be opt-in, and they didn't tell anyone.

I've opted out.

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/21 05:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

must be a US only thing, I looked on my amazon devides and I dont have the setting or app to disable or enable.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/21 05:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StirCrazy wrote:

must be a US only thing, I looked on my amazon devides and I dont have the setting or app to disable or enable.

Steve

Yes - "only available in the US".

Mike

JimBollman

Lost State of Franklin

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/21 05:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'be opted out by not having any of those type devices in my house.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/21 06:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe I am not fully understanding, are Echo and Alexa devices also hot spots? They are creating a sub network of these devices? Do they show up as an internet choice? My internet is encrypted so I am not sure how this would work. Sorry, I don't get it. Never mind the range on those things is hardly far enough to mesh a network together - at least in my neighborhood. And everyone has the same internet anyway, so if theirs goes out, so does mine. I have nothing to hide but if you remember Amazon was cited for recording information from people when they said they weren't. then they lied and said they weren't listening all the time - um, then how do they respond from key words? People constantly complaining about Big Brother and privacy and the same time they willingly buy these things and put them in their house. It's a hacker's dream. All a moot point for me as I don't own any of those devices. I have no need for them. I can look up Ninja jokes and check the weather just as fast on my own. Frankly I never saw the benefit outside of a novelty and laziness. The benefit is almost solely one-sided to allow companies to collect data for a variety of reasons beyond marketing. An Echo dot came with my new FW and I gave it away.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/21 05:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Im no way a full on techno geek, but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn a time or two.

The fact that your internet is encrypted likely matters not, if your device has the key and already has access to your network. Another device, connecting to your device, could be made to look just like your device, so your network doesn't see anything different.

Yeah, there's the issue of a single, or predominant ISP in a particular area, and if that goes down, there's no network to connect. But that's not everywhere. The mere fact that, as you point out, these devices are a hackers dream should convince you that they can (and are) networking these devices.

We have one, because my grand kids bought it for my wife. We understand the risks. I only plug it in and use it if we want it to play music. It actually produces a pretty decent sound.

Im just glad someone uncovered this because Amazon sure didn't let everyone know. It got exposed by an outsider.

Mike

vermilye

Oswego, NY, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/21 10:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I suspect Spectrum is doing something similar with their cable data service. If I'm using my phone to listen to an on line radio station, as I walk down my rural street, and I go by my neighbor's houses, the phone switches to WiFi. As I hit empty spaces between homes, it switches to cell service, then as I hit the next home, back to WiFi.

Since there is no data limits with Spectrum it doesn't cost anyone anything, but I do wonder how it works since I never signed up to provide WiFi to others. Am I imagining this?

Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
My Photo & RV link blog

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/21 11:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

vermilye wrote:

I suspect Spectrum is doing something similar with their cable data service. If I'm using my phone to listen to an on line radio station, as I walk down my rural street, and I go by my neighbor's houses, the phone switches to WiFi. As I hit empty spaces between homes, it switches to cell service, then as I hit the next home, back to WiFi.

Since there is no data limits with Spectrum it doesn't cost anyone anything, but I do wonder how it works since I never signed up to provide WiFi to others. Am I imagining this?

If it auto connects you to someone's wifi, doesn't that also expose your phone to hacking? Seems weird and unsafe to open up this "share everyone's data" concept. It literally bypasses all the security protocols for connecting to wifi in the first place. Something doesn't sound right. And for the record I wasn't aware Alexa and similar devices broadcasted wifi. Are they un regulated hot spots? Sorry I don't get it. And it looks like it's targeted to Ring doorbell devices as well. I love the method of having to opt out instead of opt in without any proactive communication on it. Always a red flag. Amazon is essentially building a massive surveillance network. Further reinforces why I will never have one of these devices.

* This post was edited 06/10/21 12:01pm by way2roll *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Amazon devices will soon automatically share your Internet
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.