Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NorCal Fridge wont run on AC

jonaz
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Everyone,

Just bought a new 2021 Coachman Catalina and I am waiting to get it back in the shop for some warranty work.

In the meantime, it has a Norcal fridge, with only one button on the front. The Fridge runs on propane, but it does not get cold on AC. The fridge light opens when I open the door so its getting AC. I have turned the Fridge off, with AC plugged in and then turned it back on numerous times, and still it does not get cold. A red light will eventually come on, telling me that there is an issue.

Any suggestions on what to look for? It's going to be another 3 weeks before I can take it in.

Thanks in advance,
Jonathan

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Hemi (3.92 gears)
Prodigy brake controller,Weight Distribution Hitch
2021 Coachman Catalina 263BHSCK

11 REPLIES 11

jonaz
Explorer
Explorer
EXACTLY! My awning light did not work when picked it up and my door handle was broken (they tried to cover it up with wood glue). Affordable RV near Victorville, CA.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
jonaz wrote:
OK, I feel like an idiot. I removed the cover and realized that the fridge was not plugged into the AC receptacle. I kept looking for the plug but it was run way up on top and took a little while before I was able to get my hand around the end and bring it back down to get plugged in. Thank you so much for all your help.

BAD PDI by your dealer. They should have caught this. Doug

jonaz
Explorer
Explorer
OK, I feel like an idiot. I removed the cover and realized that the fridge was not plugged into the AC receptacle. I kept looking for the plug but it was run way up on top and took a little while before I was able to get my hand around the end and bring it back down to get plugged in. Thank you so much for all your help.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Remove the outside cover and you’ll see that the fridge just plugs into a receptacle. Plug something else in there to confirm the receptacle has power. If it doesn’t, check for a tripped GFCI there or elsewhere. Check all of the 120V breakers.

jonaz
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, the model number was on the side, thank you.

Norcold Model N7VLW6

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
jonaz wrote:
Norcold. Thanks Ed. Trying to find a model number.

Good point about fridge light 2edgesword.

The Model number is likely on a sticker inside the fridge - mine is on right side wall lower down the side....
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
I have a 2004 with a Dometic fridge. It quit running on electric. That almost never happens. . . it's usually the other way around. Works great on gas, though. So I took it to the Amish and they tested everything. The fridge actually does run on electric, but not through the plug it's plugged into. So I had my electrical engineer friend put in a new outlet. The old outlet was one of the really cheap trailer receptacles that are a press fit and the wires were just not making good contact. Now it works great. My friend charged me nothing for labor and the parts were $1.87.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

agwill
Explorer
Explorer
It will take 24 hours to get cold. How long have you waited? Is it plugged in in back? Is there 110 volts at plug? First places to check.
al

jonaz
Explorer
Explorer
Norcold. Thanks Ed. Trying to find a model number.

Good point about fridge light 2edgesword.

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think the fact the interior frig light comes on means you're getting AC. I believe the light runs off DC and would come on whether or not you're getting AC power to the frig.

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
Refrigerator Model number would be helpful ...

Is that really a Norcal.... or is it actually a Norcold ?
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad