cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV shower

mikemc53
Explorer
Explorer
2021 Gulf Stream Conquest 6250 Class C. During the extremely abbreviated walk through I noticed that where the bottom of the tub pan meets the wall it does not appear to have been caulked at all. When I brought this up to the technician he said that it is common place because the actual pan under the tub drains directly into the tub drain so no water actually leaks anywhere. That did not sound like a feasible approach though I will say that I have noticed what looks like the same condition in multiple videos of similar units. Does anyone have experience with this? Obviously I can caulk it but I would like to know if this guy was just blowing smoke.

Thoughts?
2021 Gulf Stream Conquest 6250 (Class C)
6 REPLIES 6

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
wildtoad wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
It's similar to shingles on a roof. They overlap, so water would have to go a significant distance uphill in order for it to leak.
. Unless of course the shingles were not installed properly which does happen.

Sure but gooping up inproperly installed shingles typically does nothing to make them waterproof...separate issue.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
It's similar to shingles on a roof. They overlap, so water would have to go a significant distance uphill in order for it to leak.
. Unless of course the shingles were not installed properly which does happen.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
The above is right on. My 5er shower pan did not have caulk. The raised lip makes it unnecessary. Mine never leaked.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
The Tech is correct. The tub or shower pan has a 1 to 1.5 inch lip that comes up behind the wall surround and this is NOT needed to be sealed. But, if I have a Customer that insists he wants it sealed, I seal it. Takes about 5 minutes. A good dealer will have his service dept do this even if the Factory denies(usually they do) warranty for this type problem. Why put up with the complaining for a simple fast repair. Doug

Do NOT use Caulk or silicone for this. It will not adhere. Use DAP adhesive clear sealant.

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
I think that he could have explained it differently. The shower floor pan is moulded with a lip that is recessed behind the shower walls and goes up behind the walls about an inch. The water flows back down into the shower base/pan.
I agree that caulking is not necessary. A cross section picture would fully explain it.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.