Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Do you run house AC while on the road
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Do you run house AC while on the road

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Jframpey

Charlotte

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/21 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am contemplating the purchase of a motor home... class A or Super C. I currently pull a 31’ trailer and am looking to consolidate the living and driving into 1 vehicle, adding conveniences like auto leveling, larger holding tanks, boondocking with solar or generator.

One question I haven’t heard answered so far is: When on the road does the engine powered AC provide sufficient cooling for the entire coach? (I’m looking at 30 - 35’ coaches) or do you run the generator and the coach AC’s?

For simplicity I live in the southeast US and will be traveling in the summer (90’s with lots of humidity).

A related question - while winter traveling is the engine heater sufficient to warm the coach, say down to 35?

Please enlighten me.

Joe

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/21 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To answer your question directly I never run the house AC in my 32 ft class A, the chassis AC is enough. I also made a curtain set up when traveling in 90 plus temps but have only had to use it once and it works well. However I usually stay north or in the mountains in the summer and go south in the winter. If you stay in the south all summer with temps over 90 I think you will find you will either need a curtain or will have to use you house AC.

phillyg

SWFL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/21 08:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I had a C and an A, yes, ran the genset for house AC.

--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/21 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NO Motorhome, the Dash AC will cool anything other than the 2 front seat Cab area. To cool the rest of the Motorhome you will need to run the Genset and the roof AC's. Doug

PS Same with HEAT in cold. You will have to run the Motorhome Furnace in very cold temps in transit.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/21 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We mostly just use the cab A/C. There have been a few times with higher temps that we've run a house A/C.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/21 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jframpey wrote:

I currently pull a 31’ trailer and am looking to consolidate the living and driving into 1 vehicle, ..
You may find that shopping, touring etc in a large MH meaning with CG setup etc etc is not desirable. Many tow a car ie second vehicle.

It can work of course. Years ago we with 2 teens went from CA to GA up the coast to Newfoundland and back with a 21' class C.

gemsworld

Arizona West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/21 09:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A class C has a small cab that is shaded by the overhead bed and you probably will never need the house AC to help keeping the cab cool. The cab in a class A is like a fish bowl and you will get more sun and heat coming in. We only had to use the house ACs in a class A DP we owned on rare occasions since the dash air was almost useless. You should get enough heat from the engine heater to keep you warm in the cab without the need of running the furnace.

As far as the house goes, keeping it cool or warm without the house ACs or furnace depends on personal comfort level and ambient temps. The few times we had passengers in the house we ran the house ACs for their comfort.

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/21 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To run both A/C units we can run the Genset traveling, very seldom do.

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

GizmosMom

NE Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/21 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a Class C and there are just the two of us and the pup. If it is very hot and humid we run the generator and AC about 30 minutes before we get to our site for the evening. That begins to cool off the rear until we can plug in the shore power, turning off the generator first of course.

Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat.
Smudge, (in photo) a Shih Tzu/Yorkie Mix and Gizmo is waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/21 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

delete

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Do you run house AC while on the road
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.