cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bluetooth Battery Monitor

SHRED
Explorer
Explorer
For ease of installation I'm looking for input on Bluetooth battery monitors.

Any that you are satisfied with.
Thanks.
2021 27' Lazy Daze mid bath
10 REPLIES 10

FWC
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
But if the Bluetooth is anything like the bluetooth in my Hughes Watchdog protector you need to be within 10ft of it. Makes it being Bluetooth kind of worthless.
Yep. Like having to go sit near the wifi antenna to get anything done.

The one complaint I have about my Victron is the warning buzzer. It only seems to work at the physical unit itself, which is in the battery compartment where I can't hear it.

If you want a louder buzzer (or flashing light of whatever) you can use the relay contacts on the BMV to activate a buzzer/light/siren in the location of your choice. It is easy to set them up to switch on with the buzzer.

Unfortunately the phone app can only talk to the unit when it is open and connected, thus it would be very hard to have a bluetooth based buzzer/alert.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
But if the Bluetooth is anything like the bluetooth in my Hughes Watchdog protector you need to be within 10ft of it. Makes it being Bluetooth kind of worthless.
Yep. Like having to go sit near the wifi antenna to get anything done.

The one complaint I have about my Victron is the warning buzzer. It only seems to work at the physical unit itself, which is in the battery compartment where I can't hear it.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
This is the one I have my eye in when I go solar.

Battery monitor

Will from DIY solar with Will Prouse gave it a pretty good review as did most buyers on Amazon.

Sorry, this is not a Bluetooth unit, just seen the title to the post again. But if the Bluetooth is anything like the bluetooth in my Hughes Watchdog protector you need to be within 10ft of it. Makes it being Bluetooth kind of worthless.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

ronbiel
Explorer
Explorer
I love my Victron BMV-712. Worth the cost.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
This is the one I have my eye in when I go solar.

Battery monitor

Will from DIY solar with Will Prouse gave it a pretty good review as did most buyers on Amazon.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Be careful going cheaper.

SHRED
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at this one also.

BALMAR MONITOR
2021 27' Lazy Daze mid bath

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Doubt after a couple of trips youโ€™ll be monitoring all that often. I opted for a $42, 500 amp monitor for my 600AH of DIY Lithium batteries. Once the BMS stopped charging them I set the AH to 900AH... it keeps track of usage, %, charge/discharge amps, and voltage...all the info I need. Helped that the display was easy to locate in the BR.

Monitor
https://www.amazon.com/CAMWAY-Voltmeter-Backlight-Waterproof-Motorhome/dp/B088RG27LS/ref=mp_s_a_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=aili+500a+battery+monitor&qid=1622487745&sprefix=aili+&sr=8-10
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

FWC
Explorer
Explorer
If you just want bluetooth (ie no hardware display) then the Victron Smartshunt is the ticket. If you want a display as well as bluetooth then the Victron BMV-712 is the way to go.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Hard to beat the Victron BMV-700. It does require a shunt on the negative side, and a + power supply. Not difficult.

Post may get moved to tech issues or technology.