Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Out of touch with reality
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

 > Out of touch with reality

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

Senior Member

Joined: 12/28/2015

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/01/21 07:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were looking at a 16' X 32' portable building (built off site and hauled to my property) back in September. The dealer called me one morning and said to get in there and sign the papers and put a deposit on it right now because the price was going up sometime that day. I drove over and signed and paid half up front. At close of business that day the dealer got a company wide email that announced a 20% increase and a month later another 20% was added. The are still selling as fast as they can build them.


Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired


colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/27/2004

View Profile






Posted: 06/02/21 10:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Bottom line, the number of RVs on the east coast or whatever fabulous deal you were able to get in December in Cleveland, when the weather s ucks and everyone but you is playing Santa Claus, not RVer, is not relevant at all to the OP's thread.

He's not going to be able to bop out to Seattle, buy his truck and just go grab a travel trailer for anything less than a very high price, comparatively speaking to what was or is considered the "norm."
Grit won't be making the trip after all. But it was a eye opener on the RV market. I wonder if used trailers are the affordable housing in your area that makes the market tight?

In my area if you go to Southern MO or AR there are deals to be had. I agree with others in a year or two there will be a flood of used trailers when a lot of people find camping isn't there thing.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/27/2004

View Profile






Posted: 06/02/21 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarabooBob wrote:

We were looking at a 16' X 32' portable building (built off site and hauled to my property) back in September. The dealer called me one morning and said to get in there and sign the papers and put a deposit on it right now because the price was going up sometime that day. I drove over and signed and paid half up front. At close of business that day the dealer got a company wide email that announced a 28% increase and a month later another 20% was added. The are still selling as fast as they can build them.
I found that out with my 14'x40' Sturdi-built building. I got in before a 28% increase then a 10% surcharge this year. Wanted to get a new garage built this year but will hold off. I figure interest rates will rise on homes which should slow down building.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/02/21 06:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

Bottom line, the number of RVs on the east coast or whatever fabulous deal you were able to get in December in Cleveland, when the weather s ucks and everyone but you is playing Santa Claus, not RVer, is not relevant at all to the OP's thread.

He's not going to be able to bop out to Seattle, buy his truck and just go grab a travel trailer for anything less than a very high price, comparatively speaking to what was or is considered the "norm."
Grit won't be making the trip after all. But it was a eye opener on the RV market. I wonder if used trailers are the affordable housing in your area that makes the market tight?

In my area if you go to Southern MO or AR there are deals to be had. I agree with others in a year or two there will be a flood of used trailers when a lot of people find camping isn't there thing.


Here, I believe it’s a combination of everything the rest of the country is experiencing. Manufacturing shortages due to Covid last year and increased numbers of “Covid Campers.” Add to that, specifically here in WA, population density in Western WA, generally a vary outdoor activity oriented state and state of mind, and one of the highest costs of living in the US (due to the industry Microsoft , Boeing, etc and the mild climate)

Only been here 10 years now, but have lived in several different parts of the country and Western WA is just plain expensive. With generally commensurate wages, as well.
Of the big ticket purchases made since living here, about half of them were not purchased locally, as the deals were better elsewhere.
Prime example, I needed a small cargo trailer to haul a load from the Midwest back to seattle. Was going to buy a used trailer here and dead head it East (with the intention of selling it when I was done with the trip). This was pre Covid by a couple years btw.
I couldn’t find a used trailer for what I could buy a new one for and have it delivered to my location in the Midwest, 100miles from the dealer. Bought the trailer, used it for a week, put it on Craigslist when I was about halfway back home, for almost 20% more than I had just paid. That was on a Sunday, and I ended up unloading it that night as I had a buyer the next day and had to haul it to work with me to sell. No haggling, handed me a fistfull of Benjis and I gave him the Mso and trailer. Evidently I didn’t ask enough money for it!


2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Walaby

Georgia

Senior Member

Joined: 11/10/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/02/21 07:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think there's shortages of some things out there that is obviously driving up prices, but I also believe some of it is made up.

Awhile back, there was supposedly a propane shortage. Can't speak for everywhere, but where Im at.. no shortage.

I, unfortunately, am in the beginning stages of building my retirement house. I could have waited, but then it likely would have delayed my retirement by another year, and who knows if the prices would go back down. I believe a lot of the price increases we are seeing that is attributed to shortages will never come back down. Oh, they might drop a little bit, but it' ain't coming down to pre-covid prices. No way. Businesses know people are willing to pay the price, so the new price points are being established now.

Mike


Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS


CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

Senior Member

Joined: 03/01/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/02/21 07:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Walaby wrote:

I think there's shortages of some things out there that is obviously driving up prices, but I also believe some of it is made up.

Awhile back, there was supposedly a propane shortage. Can't speak for everywhere, but where Im at.. no shortage.

I, unfortunately, am in the beginning stages of building my retirement house. I could have waited, but then it likely would have delayed my retirement by another year, and who knows if the prices would go back down. I believe a lot of the price increases we are seeing that is attributed to shortages will never come back down. Oh, they might drop a little bit, but it' ain't coming down to pre-covid prices. No way. Businesses know people are willing to pay the price, so the new price points are being established now.

Mike


I agree that with things like lumber the prices may drop some but, not back to where it was. You can only put off building things for just so long and in some cases you can't put it off at all.

I'm not so sure about luxuries items like RV's though. It's been a boom recently but, all booms go bust eventually. It's anybody's guess when this will be though.

The Travel Trailer I got, though old and shot, works for me for now. I'm going to wait and see what happens. No way am I going to pay what they are asking right now. Something will maybe come along someday.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

 > Out of touch with reality
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.