Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Axle upgrade questions
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Axle upgrade questions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/21 03:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

kfp673 wrote:

Went ahead and replaced the 4 tires with Maxxis 10ply. Had them mounted and re-installed them yesterday. Also have an appointment with a truck shop that can do axle alignment to have them evaluate what else needs to be done. The only other thing that worries me is when I did the CRE3000 with heavy duty shackle and wet bolt kit, the brass bushings were all very easy to put in. Prior to installing I watched videos and some needed a press to put them in. Mine all went in by hand easily. I hope that does not mean the springs are worn as well as I intend to keep them. The factory bushing were totally destroyed when I replaced them but with a 3 yr old trailer I sure hope the suspension work is limited to the axles and that the brass bushing upgrades I did are enough.

Thanks again all for your thoughts and help.
You waited too long to do the bushings. Springs are shot. The spring eyes likely took a pounding from the bolts after the plastic bushings gave way. With the bronze bushings not fitting well, they will not last long. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
Full Body Paint, 3, 8K axles, Disc Brakes
17.5 LRH commercial tires
1380 watts solar,
2020 Silverado High Country CC DA 4X4 Big Dually.

kfp673

PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/21 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

Huntindog wrote:

kfp673 wrote:

Went ahead and replaced the 4 tires with Maxxis 10ply. Had them mounted and re-installed them yesterday. Also have an appointment with a truck shop that can do axle alignment to have them evaluate what else needs to be done. The only other thing that worries me is when I did the CRE3000 with heavy duty shackle and wet bolt kit, the brass bushings were all very easy to put in. Prior to installing I watched videos and some needed a press to put them in. Mine all went in by hand easily. I hope that does not mean the springs are worn as well as I intend to keep them. The factory bushing were totally destroyed when I replaced them but with a 3 yr old trailer I sure hope the suspension work is limited to the axles and that the brass bushing upgrades I did are enough.

Thanks again all for your thoughts and help.
You waited too long to do the bushings. Springs are shot. The spring eyes likely took a pounding from the bolts after the plastic bushings gave way. With the bronze bushings not fitting well, they will not last long. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Well that stinks! but thanks for sharing your thoughts. Doing a long weekend state park trip and then dropping the trailer at the truck shop Monday. I'll have them look at this as well. Really not happy about spending insane $ on a 2018 camper suspension, but would rather get it done right and hopefully last long.

kfp673

PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/21 05:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well... $2500 later and I am all set. Ouch!! As noted earlier, I took it to a frame, trailer, axle alignment shop. Turned out the axles were quite a bit out of alignment and required bending. Springs were shot because of the original bushings and that also means the copper bushings I installed 3 months ago were already damaged. So all new springs and bushings. I then chose to force balance the tires. Lot's of labor time involved and it got expensive. Was a tough call as I could have just kept dragging it around and replacing tires every 2-3 years but I decided to get it done right. Tracks and tows perfectly now so hopefully all of this is worth it. Shop said most trailers are out of alignment. They said you can put on brand new axles and they are likely our of alignment. Anyway, expensive but now I'm ready for our next 1000 mile trip

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Axle upgrade questions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.