cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Filling of Propane tank

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
Does it make a difference if you get your propane filled at 8900 ft or 1000 ft. Reason I ask is right now I am at 8900 ft and could top off the onboard tank. Or am I better off to wait until I get to a lesser elevation? Is it a quantity thing.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly
10 REPLIES 10

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Dutch_12078 wrote:
time2roll wrote:
Less chance of getting any butane mix at 8900 feet.

LPG (commercial propane) typically contains 90%+ propane and less than 10% butane.

Nobody in the USA produces Butane for USA LP fillers. They do have Butane in Mexico. Doug

red31
Explorer
Explorer
craig7h, which ever is colder!

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I get my tanks filled t place that charges me my the gallon. They set the tank on a scale to tell when the tank is at max full and charge me for the gallons to top off.
Most of the places around here that exchange tanks are currently selling 15 pounds of propane in the tanks. They tell you on the sign that is posted that you are paying for 15 pounds so it is not fraud. You just have to read the sign.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
Are you sure it isn't the person who's doing the filling that's shorting you? I get tanks filled at Costco, Glendale Az. And they short all of them 2 pounds. I get them back to Co. And I top them, to the OPD float valve, no problem.
LP and NG etc. automatically derate at higher elevation because the density is lowered. Its either Charles or Boyles law. It been too long since college! The formula is very simple. It has to do with old and new volumes and pressures. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:

LPG (commercial propane) typically contains 90%+ propane and less than 10% butane.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Grit dog wrote:
Not sure what sparked the question...maybe be more specific as to your concerns.
(FWIW, there aren't any, based on altitude)

Correct. What DOES affect DOT tanks is HEAT. Fill a DOT 20# at Ambient 40 degrees and slightly overfill(it can be done even with Auto shut off) and take that unused tank to 100 degree ambient and odds are the Safety blow off valve will release. A correctly filled DOT may still have the same problem when you fill at a lower temp(below 50 degrees) and then go to a higher degree area(over 90 degrees), which is easy to do, if you do not use that tank. Fill in the winter and not use and then take it out in the hot summer. This used to be more of a problem years ago(DOT tanks had no auto shut off)when unqualified/Ignorant LP fillers would attempt to "top off" the DOT fill and not fill by weight. Now, with Auto shut off fill valves this is a rare occurance. Doug

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Not sure what sparked the question...maybe be more specific as to your concerns.
(FWIW, there aren't any, based on altitude)
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
tank is a closed pressure vessel....atmospheric pressure has no affect on the internal pressure.
**Can affect the fuel/air ratio AT the appliance burners

tank is under 100#-250# depending on the Temperature of the ambient air as heat can cause more or less liquid to vapor action

Top off as needed wherever you are.

They will pump liquid into tank until:
Fix Gauge spews liquid (bleed valve cracked open during filling)
OPD shuts off flow
**Both are set for 80% tank capacity as that is FULL
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
The "L" in LPG is for liquid. They are putting a liquid in the tank.

There may be a difference but so small, you likely couldn't measure it.

Temperature and altitude can mess with the appliances that use the LPG. The propane evaporates and passes thru the piping systems as a gas. Here altitude can have an impact as there is less oxygen available.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV