Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Need to Haul Cargo with a Truck registered as an RV (CA)
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Need to Haul Cargo with a Truck registered as an RV (CA)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
adamis

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/21 01:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Plans changed due to family not being available to help watch the twins while I'm out having fun. You haven't seen a tired mommy till you come home to one who has been watching needy twins all day (can't even imagine triplets or more).

To respond to Kaytag and California bashing, this state isn't what it used to be and hasn't for nearly two decades under one party rule. The geography and weather are the same of course and that is the significant pull for many people. But now we must contend with policies that are soft on crime, highest taxes in the country with no end in sight of even more taxes, rampant homelessness, rampant drug abuse and prevalence (last time the wife and I went to the theater in SF, we literally walked by about 30 derelicts on the city government steps shooting up hard drugs in the open). There is garbage everywhere in the streets and streams where homeless encampments now sprawl.

If you look at a political map of California the Central, Eastern and Northern parts are mostly conservative but it is dominated by the Bay Area, Sacramento and LA. All places with dysfunctional policies that cause more problems but also where politicians are no longer accountable to the people and haven't been for years.

The only thing that keeps this state together is water and that is through the continued screwing of the Northern regions as the Central and Southern regions take it. Sure, Central and Southern California paid for the water infrastructure decades ago but those bonds have long been paid off. How much is that water worth today compared to what Northern California actually gets in return for it? Hard to have an LA economy without water yet it comes cheap and mostly plentiful at the expense of Northern California communities.

In an era of "billions" of budget surpluses, how much of it do you think will go to making Central and Southern California self sufficient in water without the continued taking advantage of the communities where rain actually does fall in meaningful amounts? I'm guessing about zero. Only San Diego with their desalination plant looks to have taken a step in the right direction. Of course, since California is eliminating all of its nuclear power plants, desalination just isn't practical to the extent needed. LA sits next to an ocean and yet they pull water from a giant straw 600 miles long?

Yup, California is great for the weather and geography but beyond that, it is a dystopian nightmare of one party politics and taking advantage of conservative rural communities.

* This post was edited 06/05/21 01:29pm by adamis *

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/05/21 09:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well "toedtoes", my DP plate is DPNNNLL. Doesn't follow the PDF you posted. Is my plate an error?

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/21 11:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^ You’re right. And anyone defending decriminalized or defunded enforcement hopefully gets to experience the mess they support. Hopefully in a big way.
Seattle is a shithole now. Worse than ever.
Last night the ER docs we’re having to neglect my wife with acute heart problems for the fri night tweakers and junkies being wheeled in.
F that place and anyone who supports this.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/21 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

D.E.Bishop wrote:

Well "toedtoes", my DP plate is DPNNNLL. Doesn't follow the PDF you posted. Is my plate an error?

I don't know why your plate is different. It may be personalized, it may have been a mistake, it may be connected to a specific plate style or time frame, or maybe it just wasn't a common enough configuration to include, or maybe they missed that configuration when they wrote the PDF.

The point I was making is that the plate configurations are established to make it easy to spot something weird. If a stolen commercial plate is put on lexus sedan, it will stand out to officers and so on.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/21 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have collector registrations on some of my vehicles that come with use restrictions in exchange for a single "forever fee" that does not have to be renewed. Choosing this registration prevents me from using them as a daily use vehicles. Abusing this classification results in large fines. There are no exception passes offered for sale. I suspect this is the same with the registration in CA if you don't use your truck as an RV. Since you have a clause about getting service completed, perhaps you can schedule an appointment close to your destination and get your truck serviced before returning home? You would be following the letter of the law even if it was not the spirit of the law. If you were pulled over for improper registration, you would be able to show your appointment and they could even verify it was legitimate calling the shop or you would have the service receipt on the return home.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

wintersun

Monterey

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/21 04:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I had a truck with a slide-in camper it was considered by the California DMV to be a commercial vehicle as the camper was not welded permanently to the bed of the truck.

Unless your truck is improperly loaded, as in overloaded for the suspension, the CHP is going to ignore you completely. If there is a lot of sway or you move around in the lane or fail to drive at a steady speed, then you will be noticed.

As long as the GCWR is not exceeded with your load you will be legal and if in doubt pay the $15 to have the loaded vehicle weighed at a local CAT scale.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/21 04:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Poof!

Weldon

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/21 07:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Call ands see if you can get a temporary permit. Nothing to lose, maybe things have changed.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Need to Haul Cargo with a Truck registered as an RV (CA)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.