cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carefree Slide Topper Spring

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 13ft slide topper that has lost tension. The manual suggests there is a tension spring on the right hand side. Is replacing the spring difficult?

We’re in the middle of a 3month trip. There appears to be a small spring on the left side which causes the topper to “follow” the slide (but doesn’t tension it) so that it rolls up when putting the slide in. Not sure if I trust this to continue keeping it from unfurling on the road somewhere during our trip.

I’ve called a half dozen RV places but no one seems to stock this spring, and they say it will be a month or so to order from Carefree of Colorado. Does anyone know where I might be able to get a spring? Or have one shipped within a week or so when I know where we’ll be?

Thanks
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK
6 REPLIES 6

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
OK, I’m happy but a little embarrassed for not figuring it out sooner.

Turns out the front facing edge had rolled up slanted and bunched, thereby making it a foot shorter than the back end. The front was taught, but the back had an extra 8-10” and sagged and flopped. No idea why it rolled this way (maybe rolled up in heavy wind?) but once messed up it continued to roll and unroll like that.

All it needed was to fully unroll the topper manually and then reroll while retraining the leading edge. Now all is good :). And I didn’t have to wait 4wks for parts from Carefree (everyone is out).
Ron & Pat

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take a lokk here:
Carefree repair videos
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Could be a issue where the spring is attached on either end. I had an end cap strip on the shaft due to very poor mechanical design. Or the spring as you suggest.

2 people and ladders, revove roller and canvas, then remove canvas, install roller unless you can carry it elsewhere and secure with rope or other means.

I had a awning blow off driving in the wind. Awning, roller and parts of the arm sailed across the highway.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
Back of topper (right side) hangs very loose, and there’s no tension on the roller (can turn clockwise/counterclockwise by hand -partial turn - easily). I can’t imagine what else it could be if not the spring. Any ideas?
Ron & Pat

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
And how do you know it's the spring vs something else when you haven't taken it apart?

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Remove the canvas and repair after the trip.

Bob