Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 24 ft or less B+ with over head bed.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  B+

> 24 ft or less B+ with over head bed.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/21 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobndot wrote:

By the time you finish researching these rvs , you will have to start over with class D and class E models. [emoticon]

If you need extra sleeping in a smaller rv ........
See the Dynamax 24RB models. Other mfgs might offer the same floorplan.
Its not a cabover bed for one but a QB for 2. Plus a sofa and dinette which both can made into a sleeper.

The 24RB while it did have a nice drop down bunk, that was really the only bed unless the sofa pulled out. Where the bed would normally be was all bath space. So nice bunk, but no bedroom.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/21 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMO, I think the E450 is an E450 no matter class c or B+. You have to have the correct alignment which might be a little difficult to find the right shop to do that.

Maybe the Transit drives better but not sure about the payload. Same thing with the Pro-Master which is FWD .
Loading up the rear on that model might causes the wheels to spin on loose gravel or very wet surfaces, at least that's what dealer told me. Spinning on gravel was the Pro Master owners biggest complaint when the rear was loaded up.

The P. Cruiser seems more aero dynamic and has less cabover which I would think would drive better from an engineering point of view but Ron did all the same mods as I did to allow his rig to handle and ride better. Mine is a class c square box which drives very well now after the mods. I wish they would build these things to drive correctly from the get-go.

mods:
-shocks, Bils front - FSD rear
-Roadmaster steering stabilizer
-alignment with caster kit
- rear track bar
- heavy duty sway bars front and rear
- experiment with PSI in all tires

I tried a set of wireless Air bags with compressor $1700 but had them removed bc they did not raise my MH more than level. I was looking to gain some driveway clearance of and inch to 2 inches but the bags only offered 1/2", if that, above normal and the compressor constantly malfunctioned causing massive air loss. Swapped the bags out, swapped the compressor and leak tested all the lines and connections and never found the leak source, so I had them removed. Go figure that one out. All the air leaked out in 3 hours but no bubbles anywhere. Maybe Rod Serling built my rv. The dealer was very helpful in trying to resolve the issue but even the AirLift folks didn't understand it.

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/21 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

bobndot wrote:

By the time you finish researching these rvs , you will have to start over with class D and class E models. [emoticon]

If you need extra sleeping in a smaller rv ........
See the Dynamax 24RB models. Other mfgs might offer the same floorplan.
Its not a cabover bed for one but a QB for 2. Plus a sofa and dinette which both can made into a sleeper.

The 24RB while it did have a nice drop down bunk, that was really the only bed unless the sofa pulled out. Where the bed would normally be was all bath space. So nice bunk, but no bedroom.

Hi, yes I thought it might offer G an alternative for that extra sleeping space. I think that QB can be left made then retracted and it appeared someone could also sleep on the sofa while that drop down QB was in use. Maybe, maybe not ? I just saw the floorplan and offered it as a possible solution.

At the end of the day , once any of us find that floorplan that we think is best, they find that the water pump is hidden below the shower pan with no access. Remember that post a few months ago ?

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/21 02:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Drew wrote:
"The somewhat improved aerodynamics probably would contribute to a bit better cruising at highway speed (better acceleration when passing, etc.). Likewise, if a little less tall overall, they logically should do a bit better with crosswinds and not getting pushed around by passing semis."

Having driven mine with the aerodynamic looking front for 50K miles plus and driven those with the front bunk I noticed no difference in handling, wind, or trucks passing. it still got sucked towards them until i reworked the suspension. The key is to stop the side roll. Conventional and original shocks do not do that. Once in a severe headwind coming out of Phoenix and pulling a 16ft. trailer, i was in a lower gear, eating fuel and getting no where. If there are any aerodynamic advantages they are minimal. A c behind me could barely keep up and he had no trailer.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/21 03:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobndot wrote:

IMO, I think the E450 is an E450 no matter class c or B+. You have to have the correct alignment which might be a little difficult to find the right shop to do that.

Maybe the Transit drives better but not sure about the payload. Same thing with the Pro-Master which is FWD .
Loading up the rear on that model might causes the wheels to spin on loose gravel or very wet surfaces, at least that's what dealer told me. Spinning on gravel was the Pro Master owners biggest complaint when the rear was loaded up.

The P. Cruiser seems more aero dynamic and has less cabover which I would think would drive better from an engineering point of view but Ron did all the same mods as I did to allow his rig to handle and ride better. Mine is a class c square box which drives very well now after the mods. I wish they would build these things to drive correctly from the get-go.

mods:
-shocks, Bils front - FSD rear
-Roadmaster steering stabilizer
-alignment with caster kit
- rear track bar
- heavy duty sway bars front and rear
- experiment with PSI in all tires

I tried a set of wireless Air bags with compressor $1700 but had them removed bc they did not raise my MH more than level. I was looking to gain some driveway clearance of and inch to 2 inches but the bags only offered 1/2", if that, above normal and the compressor constantly malfunctioned causing massive air loss. Swapped the bags out, swapped the compressor and leak tested all the lines and connections and never found the leak source, so I had them removed. Go figure that one out. All the air leaked out in 3 hours but no bubbles anywhere. Maybe Rod Serling built my rv. The dealer was very helpful in trying to resolve the issue but even the AirLift folks didn't understand it.
Rod Serling, you are showing your age Bob. I don't understand why all these mods are necessary either. Many on here that have had both Ford and Chevy claim the Chevy drives much better without all these mods and claim the front cab has more room for your feet. I see some of these shorter C's come with the Chevy chassis although more are on the Ford 350. 323HP on a 24 ft C should be more than enough.

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/21 05:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I had it to do over, I would like to try the GM cutaway . I towed a 6500# TT with a 2016 Silverado with the 5.3 and HD tow package and it had plenty of power on the hills with a combined weight of 13k or so. The new 6.0 should be fine in a class C.
Both my old B conversions were GM's and they were a pleasure to drive over 200k miles and they did offer more foot room for the passenger. My wife never complains about the lack of space in the Ford but I have heard others mention it was tight.

My friend owns a diesel shop and strips and rebuilds medium duty trucks to sell them. Talking to his customers who also drive pickups all say that the Ford and GM's are equally balanced as far as dependability . I think the GM parts might end up being a little less expensive over time.

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 06/05/21 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A small motorhome built on a Ford E450 or Chevy 4500 chassis will provide a very rough ride because the chassis is designed to carry a lot more weight than is actually being carried.

Our 2007 Phoenix Cruiser 2350 is 23'-8" long, is built on a 2007 Ford E350 chassis, and even it was over-capable in the front axle, making a more rough ride for us sitting up front. I finally got brave and addressed it last year.

CLICK HERE to read all about it. I included many pictures for clarity.

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/05/21 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ron would the Chevy 3500 have a lower spring rate than the Ford 350 providing a better ride? I notice most newer short Class C's only come with the 350 or 3500 chassis.

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/05/21 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not Ron but it may be,they have a completely different front suspension and the rear on mine has one less leaf spring than the E350 of the same vintage.

I bought a 2006 Chevy 3500 based Tioga Class C 26Q, I test drove about a dozen or more of the same or similar types all on Ford E350 Chassis and just one test drive in a Chevy based one and I was sold. The ride and noise level inside with no banging was the greatest thing that I noticed.

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/21 01:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would not know how the E350 and the 3500 compare for any particular model year. I only have the E-series spec sheets.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  B+

> 24 ft or less B+ with over head bed.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.