cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Inverter Will Not Start A/C Compressor w/Micro Air Installed

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just an FYI for anyone having problems starting the compressor on their Micro Air Easy Start equipped a/c unit with their inverter. It may not always be a current/voltage issue.

Even though our Xantrex Prowatt SW2000 inverter met all the continuous/inrush/LRA current and voltage needs of our 11k BTU Dometic Penguin II with the Micro Air Easy Start installed, it would not start the compressor. The Xantrex is rated at 1800w/15a continuous, 3000w/25a surge. The 11k BTU Dometic Penguin II requires 9-11a continuous. Inrush/LRA is only 14.6a with the Micro Air installed. No voltage drop issues: 12.6v at inverter input under 120a load. Our battery bank consists of a 200ah Lifepo4 battery pack with a 200a BMS.

Talked to Micro Air. Their engineer said the Xantrex may be distorting the waveform under load causing the Micro Air to fault just when it attempts to start the compressor. Wasn't able to confirm this with a scope, but it seems like a reasonable assumption. The Micro Air operates just fine on shore and generator power.

We replaced the Xantrex with an Aims 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter. The Aims powers our a/c compressor flawlessly. Performed repeated compressor start/stops. Also, ran the compressor continuously (via battery) for 30-60 min. at a time. Zero issues.
8 REPLIES 8

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
When Trace Engineering sold out to mainland Chinese Xantrex 25 years ago the trace engineers abandoned ship for good reason.

I differentiate because Taiwan Chinese make excellent inverters although as they say They Are Not Thunder Proof.

As I understand it Schneider bought Xantrex, at least the home inverter equipment, and renamed it Conext. Are you saying Schneider is Chinese, the RV Xantrex is different from the home stuff, or am I missing something entirely?

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
When Trace Engineering sold out to mainland Chinese Xantrex 25 years ago the trace engineers abandoned ship for good reason.

I differentiate because Taiwan Chinese make excellent inverters although as they say They Are Not Thunder Proof.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Interestingly enough I could start my roof air on a MSW inverter rated for 2500 watts. At the time I had just 3 12 volt flooded batteries.

If I had it to do over I would not get the microaire.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
otrfun wrote:
No voltage drop issues: 12.6v at inverter input under 120a load. Our battery bank consists of a 200ah Lifepo4 battery pack with a 200a BMS.
Aren't Li's wonderful?
Yes, they are! Just love their stability and linearity when discharged under heavy load.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
Have not recommended Xantrex for at least a decade.
The Xantrex Prowatt SW2000 did serve us well for 2 years powering our laptops, satellite, microwave, etc. However, it's inability to feed our Micro Air with a clean, pure sine wave, at slightly under its continuous rating, was disappointing.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
As standard inverters approach maximum capacity they may revert to square wave.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have not recommended Xantrex for at least a decade.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:
No voltage drop issues: 12.6v at inverter input under 120a load. Our battery bank consists of a 200ah Lifepo4 battery pack with a 200a BMS.
Aren't Li's wonderful?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman