cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

need back up camera suggestions

Sportsmen
Explorer
Explorer
I am in need of a backup/rearview camera for our TT. It is a Jayco 27BHS ( 31 feet ball to bumper) trailer pulled with a 2016 F250 crew cab. Looking for advice on a wireless camera that will work on a rig that is 50 feet long combined.. I would like something that will work while traveling as well as when backing. Of course cost is always a consideration...

Thanks !
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 27BHS 6210 empty, 8200 GVW
2016 F250 CC 6.2L(gas) 3:73 diff (3157lb. payload)
3 REPLIES 3

Sportsmen
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your responses. Good info !
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 27BHS 6210 empty, 8200 GVW
2016 F250 CC 6.2L(gas) 3:73 diff (3157lb. payload)

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the Hopkins wifi one, where you supply your own "device" as the monitor. Posting about it here I learned that there is a distance problem with wifi that might be cured by having one of those booster gizmos in the front of the trailer for the camera in the back. That booster in the front would be closer to the dash of the truck. AFAIK a typical trailer-truck situation is too far without a wifi booster in the front of the trailer.

The Hopkins works for me ok in the class C and truck camper with their shorter distances. I use an old iPad mini as the monitor, held on the rear view mirror with elastic bands and plugged into the cig lighter as its charger. Makes driving the MH or TC much easier, but you still have to use your side mirrors as usual.

The other big thing is that my wifi version has a time delay in the picture, caused by "processing time". This makes a car that looks like it is starting to pass you be at your side window at the same time! Takes a bit of getting used to. also with mine, a tailgater looks like he is well back, so you can't believe the way it looks for how far back they are.

It was posted that the "wired" cameras do not have this time delay, and of course you need to somehow run a wire for this job from trailer to truck and through the truck to the dash for the monitor. Lots of people do that, so it can't be too hard.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
I have installed this brand/type of wireless backup camera on 3 RVs I've owned. My RVs have all been 30-31'.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078PDH6Z8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I imagine other brands that are similar would do the trick also.

EASY to install. Install them high on the rear of your RV or TT just under the running lights. You can tap power from the middle running light which makes it easy. On the inside with the monitor, just find a convenient place to mount it and use the included double sided tape. Then plug the monitor in to your cigarette lighter for power.

I always drive with my lights on (day or night) so the running lights are always on and giving the camera power. With this setup, you can keep it on while driving or turn it off...it's up to you.

Just need to remember to turn off the monitor when you park.

Good luck!
Chris
San Jose, CA
Own two 2015 Thor Majestic 28a Class C RVs