cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The Bowlus is Back

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
The vintage exterior is stunning; but they should have the prow behind the vehicle for less drag. Still a beautiful TT.
The Bowlus
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus
16 REPLIES 16

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
I will say this, I like the floorplan. It makes sense to me to have a galley layout with the door on the end. I would just flip it around so that the prow is behind the truck and the door to the kitchen is in the rear.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

_tiredTeacher
Explorer
Explorer
BackOfThePack wrote:
A brand-new Bowlus is expensive?

In what way?

It's also a work of art with its own aesthetic. The feng shui of that interior just draws me in. If I could afford the investment, I'd be there.
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."

BackOfThePack
Explorer
Explorer
New pair of glasses needed:

Too much money?

Sure, for folks with not much sense about money. Same ones who think trading for new every so often is โ€œreasonableโ€. (Thatโ€™s the expensive route).

Given that size requirements are met โ€” and that its lifespan is indefinite ; pretty much โ€œforeverโ€ โ€” how many decades of ownership you want to divide into that price that would cause it to be high annual cost?

Thirty years of ownership (then pass along to children) is easily done.

A motorhome the same price out the door will be in the knackers yard before year twenty. The Bowlus may not even need a re-fresh at that calendar turn.

Price seems high as production rate is so low. Airstream cuts corners to stay relevant after its upmarket competition folded up shop 25 or 30 years ago. Americans took a 50% plus pay cut the past fifty years. Yโ€™all canโ€™t afford what your parents, grandparents or great-grandparents generation could.

The alternative to a trailer of this type (design and build) was a fixed vacation home. (Same price). Your kids and grandkids get on down the road just as well as you. But without the upfront cost. Same as with a mountain cabin. Several generations of enjoyment.

But with this choice itโ€™s any mountain range you choose.

Dad kept his thirty years. Two tow vehicles over that span. (A man who just wrote a check for a new car; no need to buy another with but 400k combined total miles on that pair).

Sold it when he turned 75 . . and itโ€™s still on the road at Year 46.

Quality pays.

Take your time in a search. Used trailers of this type are of the very best economy choices you could make. Tow far more easily, better ratio of window glass to floor space, etc. FAR cheaper to own long-term as (right brand) they donโ€™t leak. Water (and UV a distant second) are what kill RVs due to bad design & construction.

Mines 35โ€™ long and I average (not the high) 15-MPG. 8k+ loaded for travel. True aerodynamic design (misunderstood reference above to none seen in 70-years). Low COG.

And,

you donโ€™t really think Iโ€™ve to replace or re-seal my roof thirty-one years after it was delivered, do you?

A brand-new Bowlus is expensive?

In what way?

2004 555 CTD QC LB NV-5600
1990 35โ€™ Silver Streak

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
That seems to be for folks with more money than sense.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

canoe_on_top
Explorer
Explorer
The tongue weight is probably, pretty low but, you'd think, for $200 grand, they could throw in an electric jack?

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
I met a couple in TN that had one just a couple days old. Interesting tongue jack support...

Not my cup of tea, but if you can afford it & live in it, why not?

Bowlus Endless Highways (Starts at $225,000.00)

Interior

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Looks cool! But an Airstream that costs twice as much as an airstream?
Whatevs....
No different than the new mini โ€œexpeditionโ€ looking TC for 150 or whatever stupid number.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

canoe_on_top
Explorer
Explorer
Two weeks of battery and 19 gallons of fresh water? I suppose an electric awning wouldn't fit with the aerodynamic styling but the one shown? I had a better awning on my old pop up. Four people? I don't think so. Impressive looking, particularly the interior. $190K? You can get a really functional TT for about a third of that. Add solar and the expensive batteries if you like. And, you'd have realistic FW capacity and something other than a cassette toilet.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Sure is buttz ugly. I can't see anything like that making a come back for the masses.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you can buy one, mpg won't matter.
2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
haha, yea, the price and how many HP is the exotic engine? Any carbon fiber structural members? I dont think adding some shiny metal is going to add $140, 000 worth of value...

This is the first trailer in over 70 years that is aerodynamic at least. Cool to see the rear shaped correctly. I wonder how this improves mpg's?

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Regardless of price, the Bowlus is still pretty cool.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
$190k for a small TT? I think some companies just pull prices out of thin air with no thought as to real worth. I donโ€™t care how itโ€™s made or with what or by whom or what the back story is. that is just a ridiculous price! Even at $90k it would still be a lot!
I donโ€™t see anything about it that screams $100k, let alone $200k
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Only $190, 000 , I wonder if they will take my check ?