cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Train vs Motorhome

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Neenah, WI. Motorhome stalled on train tracks.
Owner got out. No injuries.

12 hours to clean up the mess.

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B
26 REPLIES 26

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
JaxDad wrote:
C.B. wrote:
Neenah, WI. Motorhome stalled on train tracks.
Owner got out.

C.B.

Up here they call that โ€œinsurance renovationsโ€ โ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ

โ€œNo, really, it just stalled, right there on the tracks! I barely got out in time!!โ€

โ€œWell sir, the police say you were parked nearby for nearly an hour. Why?โ€

โ€œThe train was running late.โ€

I believe that this will take the blue ribbon once all comments are in.
Puma 30RKSS

frankwp
Explorer
Explorer
Seems like a few rolls of Eternabond would fix it up like new.
2010 Cruiser CF30QB
2003 GM 2500HD, crew cab, SB, 8.1, Allison

Reader1 wrote:

Many years ago before DH flipped the axle on the TT every time we would go into Geneva, Ohio he would go really slow and try to find the best spot to go over RR tracks, cross them, stop and I would jump out. He would pull into the Winery that is right near the tracks, I would run out and get the cover for the thing that holds the dump hoses and put it back on. Then we would decide if we would go into the winery or not.

Simple equation for that:
Stop, examine TT for damage.
If no damage, continue trip.
If damage, visit winery!
:B
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

Reader1
Explorer
Explorer
mdcamping wrote:
Bobbo wrote:
DrewE wrote:
QCMan wrote:
Why is it that so many vehicles run fine until they get on tracks then decide to stall? Are the aliens playing games with us?

Depending on the railroad crossing, it may be that it got high-pointed on the tracks, rather than having the engine stall. That's one possible explanation.

There is one RR crossing where I grew up that I would never try to cross with a MH because of the very real possibility it could high point. Sharp rise to the tracks, on both sides.

We have one of those near where we live, I go very very slowly over it, been good on not hearing anything dragging. Just today I saw a MH & toad pulled over after going over... I think he had bottomed out.

Mike

Many years ago before DH flipped the axle on the TT every time we would go into Geneva, Ohio he would go really slow and try to find the best spot to go over RR tracks, cross them, stop and I would jump out. He would pull into the Winery that is right near the tracks, I would run out and get the cover for the thing that holds the dump hoses and put it back on. Then we would decide if we would go into the winery or not.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yard sale at the RR crossing.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
BobsYourUncle wrote:
noteven wrote:
Any experienced forum member can tell it was the salesman's fault.

Yup, I can hear it now!
"This baby can outrun, outpace, and dodge any train"

"Dodge" any train... I see what you did there...:)

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.wearegreenbay.com/news/local-news/train-collides-with-camper-van-in-fox-crossing-tracks-at-american-drive-closed/

Some more pics. Not a Class B.

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
DrewE wrote:
QCMan wrote:
Why is it that so many vehicles run fine until they get on tracks then decide to stall? Are the aliens playing games with us?

Depending on the railroad crossing, it may be that it got high-pointed on the tracks, rather than having the engine stall. That's one possible explanation.

There is one RR crossing where I grew up that I would never try to cross with a MH because of the very real possibility it could high point. Sharp rise to the tracks, on both sides.

We have one of those near where we live, I go very very slowly over it, been good on not hearing anything dragging. Just today I saw a MH & toad pulled over after going over... I think he had bottomed out.

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Slightly used motorhome, airy and open floor plan, runs great.

noteven wrote:

Yup, I can hear it now!
"This baby can outrun, outpace, and dodge any train"
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I drive through Neenah frequently and that town is pretty flat, no tracks to high center on. Look at the photo, there is almost no rise to get over the tracks.

My father was a truck driver and taught me to drive. He pounded a couple of important items into my thick skull, the most important one was that when you drive over a railroad track, you enter the track and drive all the way across without shifting. I still do it even with my vehicles today. There is much less chance of a vehicle stalling out it it is running mid-range rpm's and not shifting.

I have seen cars and trucks hit by trains. The train does always win.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
DrewE wrote:
QCMan wrote:

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
QCMan wrote: