Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Slow leak
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Slow leak

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
joelc

Cedar Point, NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/21 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Could be a leak in the valve stem. I had a slow leak in RV tire and at another time my truck and in both cases it was a leak at the valve.

2 many 2

USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/21 08:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

did the soaping just around the valve stem

Make sure you have checked the Schrader valve as well. Once we aired up a truck tire just a few pounds and the next morning the tire was flat.

Some debris from inside the tire contaminated the valve and allowed it to leak. Tires sometimes have paper stickers inside of them that deteriorate and float around the inside.

Good luck and make sure to come back and tell us the outcome.

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/21 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd have the tire down at my local tire shop getting it fixed.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/21 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joelc wrote:

Could be a leak in the valve stem. I had a slow leak in RV tire and at another time my truck and in both cases it was a leak at the valve.

Same with a friend , valve stem . Mines so slow , I’ll have the valve replaced , but I’ll also have them put it in their tank . If nothings shows I’ll assume the valve will fix the problem. It’s a short trip 300 miles, then it will sit in a small RV park in Montana for a good portion of the summer . I’ll keep an eye on it to see how it does there . Hopefully I’ll get lucky and it’s a valve .

Having the TPMS does give me some added safety , if it does develop a faster leak I’ll get a warning . Which so far has not happened until yesterday when I turned it on and got the warning sitting in the driveway.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/21 02:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azdryheat wrote:

I'd have the tire down at my local tire shop getting it fixed.

I will first thing in the morning ,tire is off. I wasn't planing on going anywhere until I did.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/21 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2 many 2 wrote:

Quote:

did the soaping just around the valve stem

Make sure you have checked the Schrader valve as well. Once we aired up a truck tire just a few pounds and the next morning the tire was flat.

Some debris from inside the tire contaminated the valve and allowed it to leak. Tires sometimes have paper stickers inside of them that deteriorate and float around the inside.

Good luck and make sure to come back and tell us the outcome.

After all that ,it was just a small pin hole in the tread , I was surprised watching the bubbles, that it only lost 25 psi in six weeks . I would of thought it would have gone flat. Anyway its repaired ,and back on the fifth wheel .

Not crazy about patched tires ,but they are nearly new , the shop said there should be no worries about being patched .

2 many 2

USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/21 07:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for posting the outcome. No worries about a patch, in my younger days I plugged tires with tar string repairs and drove them until they were bald. I don't ever remember hearing of a patch failure of any kind, ever.

Enjoy your trip!

blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/21 09:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

After all that ,it was just a small pin hole in the tread , I was surprised watching the bubbles, that it only lost 25 psi in six weeks . I would of thought it would have gone flat. Anyway its repaired ,and back on the fifth wheel .

Not crazy about patched tires ,but they are nearly new , the shop said there should be no worries about being patched .

It should be fine; I ran a patch on one of my truck tires for the past 5 years with no issues.

Was it damage from a road hazard or a fault with those "horrible" Sailuns? [emoticon]

* This post was edited 06/08/21 09:12am by an administrator/moderator *

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, RAM 20k sliding hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/21 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been very fortunate with tires. Has one Sailun a victim of a road hazard that ruined the tire ,and this slow leak . I have no idea what would have caused such a small hole. I mean to run over something, and put that small, and that slow of leak. At the rate it was leaking 25 psi in six weeks , it would of taken 6 months to go flat at that rate.

The tires are just over a year old , they sat all winter without any air loss, took this trip this spring, and developed the leak in the one tire, its sure possible it could of been a defect . Anything is possible . Other then the one Sailun ,never had a flat tire out on the highway , its always been caught either seeing a tire low sitting in the garage ,or like this Sailun slow leak seen on my TPMS when I checked them.

* This post was last edited 06/08/21 09:13am by an administrator/moderator *   View edit history

sayoung

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/21 07:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

I had one that turned out to be a cracked rim.

I had same cracked rim only could see with tire off

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Slow leak
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.