'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"
13 REPLIES 13

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
free radical wrote:
mr_andyj wrote:
These clowns tested a mid-sized truck with a 6,000 boat. Same hill. 3rd gear, rpm's screaming at near redline. They thought, no problem because they were able to maintain speed limit. 3mpg sounded good to them, clowns.
Not reality.
Who does that to a truck they own? Nobody, you tow the thing 20-30 mph slower because it is a mid-sized truck and you already know you will have to take it easy.

Now, if the test were: lets tow where the truck seems to be comfortable and we are not putting extreme stress on an engine/trans that we hope to keep for 200,000 miles, then I would pay attention to the comparisons, because that is how people drive, normal.

X2

Actually, as someone who runs the pass many times a year, I would say the vast majority of drivers put their foot to the floor, and run either the speed limit, or as fast as their vehicle will tow.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
mr_andyj wrote:
These clowns tested a mid-sized truck with a 6,000 boat. Same hill. 3rd gear, rpm's screaming at near redline. They thought, no problem because they were able to maintain speed limit. 3mpg sounded good to them, clowns.
Not reality.
Who does that to a truck they own? Nobody, you tow the thing 20-30 mph slower because it is a mid-sized truck and you already know you will have to take it easy.

Now, if the test were: lets tow where the truck seems to be comfortable and we are not putting extreme stress on an engine/trans that we hope to keep for 200,000 miles, then I would pay attention to the comparisons, because that is how people drive, normal.

X2

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
Not reality.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
My take away from this test.

The F150 towed the load the easiest which should translate to a more enjoyable towing experience.
The Ram made the best fuel economy while towing
The squat and brake applications are essentially the same for both trucks
Both trucks did not benefit from the electric power feature in the up hill towing process, but may have helped with grade braking.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
mr_andyj wrote:
Those guys put a weighted trailer on, floor it and go up a steep hill at an altitude few will ever see on a regular basis. Is this really the standard which you will judge a vehicle?

Well it's apples to apples for comparison reasons. If a truck wins the Ike challenge then it will be that much better in normal conditions. It's all relative sorta.
I agree though I'm not all that impressed with their methods. My Ram CTD would lose on the Ike every time, but in the real world I have zero issues towing in the mtns or anywhere else.
The speed limit, road conditions, weather conditions and trailer tires or how much fuel we want to burn govern how fast most of us get to where we're going.

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
Those guys put a weighted trailer on, floor it and go up a steep hill at an altitude few will ever see on a regular basis. Is this really the standard which you will judge a vehicle?

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
MitchF150 wrote:
$70K for those trucks... Ha, ha.. I paid $36k out the door for my 13 F150 Eco brand new and would not trade them straight across for either of those even with just over 100k miles on my 13... ha, ha...

I like to 'drive' my truck.. Not let technology 'drive' it for me.. ugh..

I've been using 'premium' fuel in my F150 since I got the new TT and it's made a difference for sure. Otherwise, I would not do it..

Found that out the first time I towed the new TT with regular and the next time with premium..

Whatever.. Do whatever and get whatever you want or need to make you happy. In the end, that's all that matters so who cares what the other guy is doing?

Mitch

What differences did you notice using premium vs regular? I've played around a little, towing with both, and I don't think I can notice any difference in my EcoBoost.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
wintersun wrote:

No evaluation of engine braking going down the grade which is even more important than MPG going up the grade.

They did evaluate engine braking going down the grade:
Ram - 9 brake applications
F150 - 10 brake applications

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
$70K for those trucks... Ha, ha.. I paid $36k out the door for my 13 F150 Eco brand new and would not trade them straight across for either of those even with just over 100k miles on my 13... ha, ha...

I like to 'drive' my truck.. Not let technology 'drive' it for me.. ugh..

I've been using 'premium' fuel in my F150 since I got the new TT and it's made a difference for sure. Otherwise, I would not do it..

Found that out the first time I towed the new TT with regular and the next time with premium..

Whatever.. Do whatever and get whatever you want or need to make you happy. In the end, that's all that matters so who cares what the other guy is doing?

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

wintersun
Explorer
Explorer
Higher octane gas does nothing unless the engine has a higher compression ratio and will knock or have the spark ******** by the engine computer under load. Octane is not a measure of btu from a gallon of gasoline but rather its resistance to pre-ignition when the fuel enters the hot cyclinders of the engine. Pre-ignition results in the engine computer retarding the spark advance and this reduces the power output of the engine. Putting high octane rated gas in an engine than it was designed to use accomplishes nothing for the engine but does help increase the profits of the oil companies.

The 89 Octane is a "plus" in that it is rated higher in terms of pre-ignition than regular 87 Octane gas. Octane is also not linear so mixing 1 gallon of 93 and one gallon of 87 octane gas does not result in 90 Octane but a mix closer to 92 octane in terms of pre-ignition.

Poorly done test. The guys should have driven both trucks up the grade at 55 mph using cruise control and then noted the MPG with each. They also do not understand how Tow Haul mode works as it is designed to keep the ATF cooler but keeping the torque converter clutch engaged longer between shifts and nothing more.

No evaluation of engine braking going down the grade which is even more important than MPG going up the grade.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lwiddis wrote:
Good information. Iโ€™m just not ready to buy premium gasoline.

You don't have to with the Ecoboost, especially when you are only going to be running half throttle anyway.

I looked it up for the Ram and they don't recommend premium either. Their manual says:
"This engine is designed to meet all emissions regulations and provide satisfactory fuel economy and performance when using high-quality unleaded gasoline having an octane range of 87 to 89 as specified by the (R+M)/2 method. The use of 89 octane โ€œPlusโ€ gasoline is recommended for optimum performance and fuel economy."

I noticed that TFLTruck did not tell us how much premium that they put in either truck or if they had any idea what the fuel history of the trucks had been. For all we know they just put a gallon of premium on top of 30 gallons of 87 octane.

I really wish that they would get over their hang up with using premium in all of the gas engines.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Good information. Iโ€™m just not ready to buy premium gasoline.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
As usual they don't do nearly enough miles to convince me that their fuel consumption can be measured accurately at the pump. Seriously, how much more time would it have taken to run the gauntlet twice? Maybe 20 minutes?