cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Glacier

Land_Yachters
Explorer
Explorer
We have reservations just outside Glacier in a couple of weeks for 5 days or so. We have not been able to get timed entry tix, (not available from the first day they opened web site), organized tours are not accepting reservations and the Sun Road isn't open due to snow removal until first of July they think. Is is worth going at all? Not sure we can even get into park. Any advice is appreciated.
Land Yachters
Griff, Ali and Coco
Philadelphia, PA
2018 Tiffin 33AA
2018 Grand Cherokee
5 REPLIES 5

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Bob has the good advice. Unless they've added personnel (doubtful) the gates are unmanned that early in the morning (same thing in the evening). "The early bird gets the worm." Just have plenty of coffee to wake yourselves up! ๐Ÿ˜„

As far as being too early to drive the entire Sun road, although that is usually the highlight for most folks there are still plenty of nice vistas and hikes. You're likely to see a ton of critters besides. Take warm clothing, though.

And remember, just about all of that part of Montana is beautiful. If you like art museums, visit the C.M.Russell Museum in Great Falls.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
According to the NPS web site for Glacier National Park, you need an entry permit between 6:00 am and 5:00opm. Get there are 5:00 am and eat breakfast until the sun gets high enough to enjoy the ride.
Last time me were there, the Logan Pass parking lot filled up at 8:30am. If you enter the park at 5:30am, you can stop at the pulloffs on the way to Logan Pass and get there by 7:30am. You should get a parking stop and be able to enjoy some short hikes and still have time to enjoy the road.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wonder if the gate from Columbia Falls is still left open and unattended this year. It was last year and I was surprised you could drive in and out of the park without a pass...

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
The Road to the Sun is the main reason we go there. If it's not open, I go another time.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you cannot enter the park then there isn't that much to do in the area. I'm a bit foggy on the tix, do they just apply to the main road going over the GTSR or to all entrances. There is quite a bit of hiking available on the other east gateways to the park.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper