Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: I-95 rest area parking for RV
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> I-95 rest area parking for RV

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
AikenRacer

Aiken, S.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/21 01:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Planning a trip to Key West. Was thinking about just pulling in a rest area on I-95 to grab 6-7 hours sleep on the way. I just read on the state website where parking in rest areas is limited to 3 hours. I am sure some of those over the road truckers stay there more than 3 hours. Has anyone had any issues catching a nap at rest areas in Florida?
Thanks!

2012 Tuscany 42RQ tag
2005 Silverado 2500 w/ piggy back golf cart

QCMan

Independent Republic of Horry

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/21 01:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A nap is one thing but 6 to 7 hours is a whole different story. First, you will have big rigs pulling in and out on each side of you and that will limit how much sleep you get. If the limit is 3 hours, you might be able to squeeze 4 out of it but do realize that 95 is a heavily patrolled road by various entities. Why not just make it relaxing and overnight in one of the many campgrounds that line the route. Safer and way more civilized. The over the road guys do not stay long. If the wheels are not turning they are not making money.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/21 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Florida usually has rest stop attendants, I have no idea if they enforce how long people stop for, tho. I doubt the FHP enforces those rules tho.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/21 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have a 42’ diesel pusher with a pickup truck toad and you can’t stay in a campground? The rest areas are needed by over the road truckers that have to, by law, pull off the road and take required breaks.

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/21 03:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When someone thinks that rest stops are just for one segment of travelers there is a problem. The signs i see say cars here and trucks/trailers there. Everyone needs to rest and yes trucks have options as well.

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/21 03:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been traveling this country for fifty years in our camper. Have only once been asked to leave a rest stop. One time, and have spent many, many nights or hours taking a nap. Always on the way somewhere, not camping. ONE night or a few hours.

DON'T CAMP ... just find a quiet spot and rest / nap. Then get on your way. Rest stops are for everyone, short term. Yes, Truckers need rest stops, but so do others. Truckers have truck stops too. Everyone needs a break, everyone gets a break. Don't abuse it ...

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/21 05:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AikenRacer wrote:

Planning a trip to Key West. Was thinking about just pulling in a rest area on I-95 to grab 6-7 hours sleep on the way.

Do you mean I-75?

Here is a route: https://freecampsites.net/#!Lake+City,+F........Distance=25&routeIndex=0&roundtrip=false

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

thomasmnile

Lake Mary, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/21 06:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AikenRacer wrote:

Planning a trip to Key West. Was thinking about just pulling in a rest area on I-95 to grab 6-7 hours sleep on the way. I just read on the state website where parking in rest areas is limited to 3 hours. I am sure some of those over the road truckers stay there more than 3 hours. Has anyone had any issues catching a nap at rest areas in Florida?
Thanks!

Depending on how you structure your driving time and want a break, Martin County is the last segment of I95 with a rest area.....that leaves 200 miles to Key West

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/21 06:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Depending on how you structure your driving time and want a break, Martin County is the last segment of I95 with a rest area.....that leaves 200 miles to Key West

You are wise to cut across from I95 to the Florida Turnpike. Yes it will cost you some money but it will run you right thru the Miami traffic and drop you of at its end a short distance from the highway down the Keys.

SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/21 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some LEOs get over zealous. May 1/ 21 we stopped to overnight at a very long wide historic marker turnout on Ne. 61 18 mi. s of Ogallala, Ne. No signage otherwise . At sundown a Ne. sherriff deputy knocked, told us no overnighting, go to the Lake McConaughey state park. Officer, we cant, we are double towing, must have a 70' pull thru, And weve had our wine and a nightcap, so no driving tonight. He then asked for ID, about firearms, ( none, but did show him our SD concealed carry permits) and a great deal more, none of which under our rights he had any right to ask, however under the circumstances we complied to diffuse the situation. He admitted he had no law to make us leave. When we pointed out the 3 garbage bage of trash we cleaned up there his whole attitude changed, he radioed to dispatch situation resolved.
Check the laws before you go.

* This post was edited 06/06/21 09:19pm by SDcampowneroperator *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> I-95 rest area parking for RV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.