Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air Admittance Valve

tjw0099
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,

I posted a week or 2 ago about the stench coming in the camper. Some suggested it was the air vent on the roof, others suggested it was the air admittance valve.

I purchased the wrong AAV from Lowes as it is larger in width than the ones on my camper.

I have an issue, the one in the bathroom must have been put on BEFORE they put in the sink. There is not enough room to remove the AAV without removing the sink.

Is it possible to cut some of the line, there's about 18 - 20 inches available?

If you were to suggest this route, how would I be able to thread the AAV onto the cut pipe? It's PVC.
The 2006 Jayco Jayflight
11 REPLIES 11

capacitor
Explorer
Explorer
Without glue, the abs coupler may still stink and it wonโ€™ t seat all the way. Femco fitting is the way to go.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Why not use a standard ABS coupling?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Cut the pipe below the AAV. Remove the pipe stub with the AAV. Replace the AAV on the pipe stub. Reinstall the pipe stub with new AAV using a Fernco fitting.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you sure itโ€™s the AAV? My mh had a strong sewer smell coming from my bathroom sink cabinet where an AAV is located. Went to all the trouble to replace it and still there was that smell. Then learned about back flow devices for the black tank flush line which was also in the same cabinet. Replaced it and smell went away.

One other potential source if like mine. Newmar in the brilliance installed the black tank directly behind the bathroom roof vent. So depending on wind direction the smell enters the bathroom. I keep the vent closed most of the time.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you use the TT rarely it could be as simple as making sure the traps haven't dried out. It would be rare to have a washer hookup in a TT but that trap was the issue in my 5er.
Puma 30RKSS

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
It's ABS - has nothing to do with Pex or sharkbite.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Not PVC or PEX!
It would be ABS.
1 1/2 female adapter
Verify your pipe size. It could be 1 1/4 ID.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
PVC? or PEX? Either way Sharkbite or Gatorbite (HD/Lowes) has a removable fitting with threads if needed.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
You'll be okay cutting the pipe. Cut only what you need to make it clear the bottom of the sink.
I agree, don't use glue. You will probably have to replace it at some point.
Let us know if it solves the smell problem. It should but, maybe it's something else. Usually the AAV is the problem.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The AAV is threaded on. Cut the pipe a few inches down, taking out a couple of inches of total length and just use a straight coupler to put it back together. Reuse that threaded part and simply thread the new AAV on.
There are several good AAV's out there - they're all white in color. (Oatley, Zurn, Sioux Chief..)
Don't use another black one. They're so bad that they aren't even allowed by code.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You would need to get an appropriately sized adapter. I would not glue it on. Tight or snug fit will do.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow