Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ANTS

esox07
Explorer
Explorer
Background info:
2011 K-Z Sportsmen CLassic 19BH trailer.

I rented out my camper this past weekend to a couple with a young daughter. I went to pick up the camper and when I went to open the FW tank drain under the bunk bed, I see a bunch of insects scurrying around on top of the white water tank. My eyes were not adjusted from the sunny outside yet so I couldn't tell what they were, but first though some kind of roach. Anyway, I closed the lid and waited a bit for my eyes to adjust and opened it again and they turned out to be big black ants. Maybe a quarter inch long. There were dozens of them. I went outside and sure enough, there were a some on the ground below the water storage area. Now, I had never seen any of them at any point in the past in my camper. I had opened the tank cover to close the drain valve before the rental and did not see any and if they were there, I am sure I would have as many of them as there were. So, I assume the infiltrated the camper during the rental which was just two nights.
When I got home, I broke out a can of insect killer spray and sprayed the snot out of the whole area under the bunk which houses the Hot water tank, fresh water tank water pump and 30 amp electrical cord. They immediately started scattering and dying. I am sure there were well over 100 I could see dead. There were a few I found outside the tank storage area and I killed them. That was yesterday. Today, I went back in to check and noticed a couple out in the open and under things like the waste basket. I checked all the cupboards and other storage areas and didn't see more than maybe one in any of them. I didn't see any live ones in the tank storage area. So, I am hoping I killed off the colony and the few I found today were just stragglers. I will keep checking periodically, but should I be worried? Should I bug bomb the camper? What would you suggest I do if I continue to see them?

Here are some photos after I sprayed the water storage area.

Minnesota Viking fan trapped in Wisconsin
2011 KZ Sportsmen Classic 19BH
2013 Chevy Silverado 1500, Ext Cab, 5.3L Z71, 4x4
Boliy 3600si
AAA Plus RV
27 REPLIES 27

SKroamcampgroun
Explorer
Explorer
I put 5-10 drops of tea tree oil in a spray bottle and spritz my RV every day or so. They hate the scent and it keeps them out. Also making sure your food storage is sealed and pans are clean helps a ton. good luck!

esox07
Explorer
Explorer
No problem. I am members of several forums a you see a lot of people jump in with a problem looking for advice, but never come back and let any one know if or how it was ever resolved.
Boliy 3600si
AAA Plus RV

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
esox07 wrote:
Last two times in my camper over the last few days I have seen no ant activity. A few more dead ones here and there but nothing moving. Those Terro ant baits clearly worked on mine as there were several dead ones around mine and I saw a few in the process of dying. One was even inside the bait feeder dead.

Thanks for everyone's help and advice. I feel the problem is fully resolved at this point.

Thank you for letting us know the problem has been resolved.

esox07
Explorer
Explorer
Last two times in my camper over the last few days I have seen no ant activity. A few more dead ones here and there but nothing moving. Those Terro ant baits clearly worked on mine as there were several dead ones around mine and I saw a few in the process of dying. One was even inside the bait feeder dead.

Thanks for everyone's help and advice. I feel the problem is fully resolved at this point.
Boliy 3600si
AAA Plus RV

esox07
Explorer
Explorer
That is what I am thinking Kellem. I have the terro out and need to go check again later today. Toooo darn hot to go out until I need to.
Boliy 3600si
AAA Plus RV

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Carpenter ants colonize in wood, hence the name.
Liquid Terro has worked effectively for every type of ant we've encountered.

I also seriously doubt these Ants took up residency to the degree of any damage in the span of 2 days.

JWF
Explorer
Explorer
We picked up a colony of red ants down south. We used the ant bomb. We closed it for 3-4 days after removing all the food and bedding. The bomb and some traps cleared them out. Never saw anymore.
MichJoe
Roseville, Mich

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Don't poison your trailer with a bomb. Spot treat and check often. Carpenter ants like wet and rotting wood so do check for any leak or damp/wet wood in the area then go outside and try to prevent them from getting in. I brought back a colony of tiny little red ants from Texas one time. I just spot treated and used Terro baits. Took a week to get them all gone but it worked.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on the Terro Liquid ant baits which has always worked for us either at home or on the rv. Since the bait is food there will be a larger number of the critters shortly after the packages are set around but in a day or to they will be gone.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
I xant see from the pictures but big black ants are carpenter ants. They need stronger stuff to kill then the ant bait traps. They do have granular aint bait to kill them, also spray the whole thing inside and out with like ortho home defense. As stated they nest in wet wood. And can do some damage to wood.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

esox07
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I went in again today and notice two on the linoleum floor. Nothing but dead ones in the water tank storage area. I put 4 Terro baits out. They do have big enough openings for these ants. I hope they work. If not, I will have to try something else.
Boliy 3600si
AAA Plus RV

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
I use this, https://www.homedepot.com/p/TERRO-Indoor-Liquid-Ant-Killer-Baits-1-Pack-T300/202532940 it's some awesome stuff, once they find it, they take it back to their nest and kills off all their relatives.

Terro has worked great for us for everything EXCEPT carpenter ants.

I read they only go after sweet things during a certain times so baits don't always work well with them. It's also why they don't always seem to go after food like other ants.

Other ants Terro will wipe them out in 24hrs, it's like magic.

Carpenter ants I've always had to kill the old fashion way, with windex or bug spray.
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

Oregun
Explorer III
Explorer III
You may have more than an ant problem. Ants like wet wood. Check if you have any leaks from inside/outside.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Raid. Redose if necessary. Then move on with life.
Ants are part and parcel of life.