Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Idaho Boise to Challis

TCar
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

My Wife and I are planning to pull our 36’ 5th Wheel from Boise area to Challis Idaho next week, and are looking at the routes.

Several very good posts here warn not to go Idaho 21 AKA “Dead Man’s Road”
(or is it correct to say Dead Person’s Road??), so that route is out.

The other option I see is 84 to 20 to 26 to 93, which looks good on the map.

Has anyone here driven this route with a large RV?
If so, any Heads-Up on the route would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Tim
2 REPLIES 2

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gosh, maybe I wasn't paying attention -- but we took 21 from Stanley to Boise a couple of years ago, and it seemed like a nice piece of cake. Beautiful scenery, and a good surface. Yes, there were some hills and curves, but nothing to write home about.

But I would defer to folks (unlike me) who have made that drive more than once, so you should take my advice with a very large grain of salt.

And I took 75 from Stanley to Challis (not recently -- in 1981!), so my impression of that road is out of date -- but at that time, it followed a river and was not difficult at all.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
The route using US93 is generally flat and straight.

The alternatives get into the mountains. One is 55 to Banks, then 17 to Lowman, and 21/75 through Stanley. Most of that follows rivers, with a gentle pass between Lowman and Stanley. 55 north from Boise has reputation of fast busy traffic, with weekend vacationers heading from the lakes and maountains, especially the McCall area.

21 from Boise cuts off a corner, but with a higher pass and signficant curves.