cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TX-146 to Avoid Houston

jdwilfert
Explorer
Explorer
We will be coming from FL to end up in Galveston. We want to avoid going through Houston. I see that the TX-146 will take us on a route that "appears" ok. Can anyone comment on exiting I-10 at the Tx-146 and driving that all the way to Galveston (Jamaica Beach).

THX
10 REPLIES 10

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
ken56 wrote:
Bail off 10 at Winnie and go down through the Bolivar and take the ferry across the bay. The ferry will handle what ever rig you have. The ferry is free.

I 2nd that. Easy peasy and not a lot of traffic.

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
^^This. I can throw a rock at 146.
Be very careful around Orange. Lots of construction with narrow lanes.
You may want to avoid the Calcaseiu River bridge in Lake Charles. My wife won't go over it. Supposedly the most dangerous bridge in the US. Could fall anytime. Take Loop 210 around the south side.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Bail off 10 at Winnie and go down through the Bolivar and take the ferry across the bay. The ferry will handle what ever rig you have. The ferry is free.

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
My preference is similar to Doug,s; however, I leave I-10 at Orange and take TX82 and TX73 to Winnie to avoid the construction mess between Orange and Beaumont. Also be aware there is construction east of Lafayette and west of Lake Charles.

Explorer II
Explorer II
DougE wrote:
It's been a long time since I traveled in that area, but what about dropping off I10 at Winnie, going down Hwy 124 to High Island and then along the coast (and the Bolivar ferry), into Galveston? Certainly more scenic. Comments from locals?
This local agrees with this unless it's lovebug season. Lovebugs can be brutal on Bolivar at a certain time of year
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

bobcouch
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.sh146.com/project-updates
Bob and Honey Couch
2008 Keystone Everest
2007 Dodge MegaCab w/ 5.9 Cummins
http://boggythicket.blogspot.com/

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
It's been a long time since I traveled in that area, but what about dropping off I10 at Winnie, going down Hwy 124 to High Island and then along the coast (and the Bolivar ferry), into Galveston? Certainly more scenic. Comments from locals?
Currently Between RVs

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
I always recommend driving straight through large cities, as long as you do it outside of rush hour. Even in the middle of the day, it is usually much faster than to take a bypass.

Stay to the right, drive at a speed you are comfortable and you will be fine.

Explorer II
Explorer II
I avoid all the Baytown traffic & lights by taking loop 330 and picking up 146 at the bridge. That's smooth sailing until Seabrook and Kemah. It's not bad once you get past Kemah.
Kemah Board Walk just past the Kemah bridge is worth a look-see if you have time and not traveling in a big rig. The streets and parking down there are not big rig friendly.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
146 is not too bad.
Just a lot of traffic lights.
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY