cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spiders

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
The girlfriend is terribly afraid of spiders. We are having a lot of them around here this year. Last weekend she saw one in the camper and drove 35 miles back home because she refused to stay in the camper after that. I told here I would set a Bug Bomb off inside it before we use the camper next weekend but, I am having second thoughts. Those bombs are designed for homes and my TT is only 22 feet long. That's a lot of toxic spray in a small area.

Is there anything else I can use to kill every insect inside the camper to keep her happy ? I've tried regular fly spray but, she doesn't think it does a good job of getting inside crevices and such.

Has anyone ever heard of bug bombs for small places ?

We were planing on going to concerts next weekend and I need her as designated driver so I need for her to come along.
20 REPLIES 20

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
kellem wrote:
Your camping career is short lived as the outdoors are full of critters.

Her and I have been together and camping for about 4 years. We have been some though some awful mosquito times. We have also been though some awful natt times. We have no problems with most critters. She just really has a bad a spider fetish.

I have to admit, for some reason, they are really bad this year. If you walk anywhere that there are trees around then you are going to have to push though layers of spider webs. The spiders are dropping down from the trees everywhere it seems this year.

I presently have my TT setting in a park where it has been setting for a week. I plan to leave it there for another week. After one week of setting it is so covered with spider webs that leaves and even small tree branches are sticking to it !! If it were to set there for a few months I would not be able to get inside of it anymore. It would be completely covered by a giant web.

I think it has something to do with Oak trees. I'm under a lot of them.

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
This stuff worked on the spiders in my basement.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Your camping career is short lived as the outdoors are full of critters.

smarty
Explorer
Explorer
SMH

FlashBuddy
Explorer II
Explorer II
agesilaus wrote:
Seal up the doors and windows and stick a garden hose in the vent and fill the camper with water. Let it sit a day or so and drain.
BTW places have exploded from too much bug bombs.

You have to add a cup of Dawn dish soap. Spiders are quite water resistant due their coating of hair trapping a layer of air around them. This helps them float and enables them to breath for a time. Being small they also use little oxygen meaning it takes awhile for them drown. The dish soap defeats their water shedding defenses and drowns them in seconds.

By Baupi, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=7273120
2018 Ford F-250 6.7L Diesel Lariat Super Crew 4X4
Grand Design Reflection 295RL
Jan Baby the Wife & Molly the Dog

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
No bombs or sprays will overcome irrational fear. What does she do when encountering a spider in her home? Move out, burn it down, sell it. Not trying to be funny or mean, but you need to ask the question. Then apply the answer to the RV. You could always get a nuclear bug bomb (no such thing) from eBay and let her know you set it off the day before you leave. Then give her a can of natural bug spray to carry with her in the RV at all times. Outside, it ain't gonna happen. This is a problem you need to decide if you can live with. The only other option is to give up camping and find another hobby. Or just stay home. Chuck

Timmo_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Perhaps explaining to your GF that spiders are really a first line of bug defense, as they are carnivores and munch on flies, cockroaches, earwigs, mosquitoes, fleas, moths, ants, gnats and of course, other spiders.

My wife used to be squeamish and squash every spider she come across, but since she understands their spot in bug "food chain"--she accommodates them. BTW, we are not arachnophiles--but when we see a herd of spiders, then we know we may have a big bug problem.
Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!
2000 Nash 19B...comfortably pimped with a real Queen Size Bed

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
Another question along the same idea. What can I spray the campsite with to kill spiders around it for a day ? Even if I have to do it each day.

Napalm will do the job. :B

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Use the "bug bomb" but do it a few days early. After the initial application, let your RV sit for 24 hrs with all the windows open.

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
Another vote for home defense. We do the landing gear and inside all the base cabinets and the pass thru storage. It may not solve all your problems as most spiders get in on your clothes. Walk thru a web and there could be a spider on the end of it. Maybe you can convince your gf that spiders get rid of the other bugs.
2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Lol, that will probably not be alowed. Spray the camper with like ortho home defense, get some glue traps, and buy her a bug-a-salt. Hopefully she will have so much fun with the salt gun that it will not be a problem.
https://youtu.be/EesfhOGt9Kk
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another question along the same idea. What can I spray the campsite with to kill spiders around it for a day ? Even if I have to do it each day.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boon Docker wrote:
Doktor Doom would work for your trailer. The 1/2 oz one is good for 52 cubic meters and your trailer is approx that size.

I will check it out. Thanks

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
IDman wrote:
It would be easier to just get a new girlfriend.

I hear that Bill and Malinda Gates are breaking up. Do you know where she lives so that I could go make the moves on her ?? 😄