cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sewer smell

mrkeman
Explorer
Explorer
I have a problem that when driving down the road if I open the window we get a sewer smell thu out the MH. It does not smell when the windows are closed or at the campground. Has anyone experienced this problem?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
2004 Itasca Sunova 35'
V-10 2 slides
No toad yet
9 REPLIES 9

AikenRacer
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure water is in the p traps which includes the one for the clothes washer if you have one.
2012 Tuscany 42RQ tag
2005 Silverado 2500 w/ piggy back golf cart

DS_Canuck
Explorer
Explorer
.fill the traps with freshwater and insert plugs in the drains. Lay a plastic or rubber sheet on the shower drain after filling that drain !weight it down with anything heavy!

Acampingwewillg
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:
When you open the window, while under way, you put the coach in a negative pressure. Thus you suck air through the pee traps. I had the same issue and my air admittance valves were new. I installed rotating sewer vent covers and the problem went away. They put you tanks in a negative pressure, thus a balance of pressures.

Richard

This has been my experience also! Getting the pressures correct is the key( along with water in the traps).... I have the bathroom vent open and on low exhaust and open the kitchen window a tad..no smells in very long time!
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
When you open the window, while under way, you put the coach in a negative pressure. Thus you suck air through the pee traps. I had the same issue and my air admittance valves were new. I installed rotating sewer vent covers and the problem went away. They put you tanks in a negative pressure, thus a balance of pressures.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Smell under the sinks the next time this happens to see if your AIR ADMITTANCE VALVE is allowing the smell in. Easy and inexpensive to replace.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pangaea Ron wrote:
Make sure that your thru-the-roof vent are not clogged. Wasp nests are not on your side.

This
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure that your thru-the-roof vent are not clogged. Wasp nests are not on your side.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

Bruce_Brown
^^^ This.

When you open the windows you're sucking the gases through the traps.

Leave some water in the sinks and you should be good.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
it has to be from the motion getting the water out of the p traps. Sinks or shower can do it, either leave a little water in each sink with the stopper in place, or use these flat stopper. in each location including the shower. You could have to put something on them to hold them down tightly if you cant leave a little water in there.
The toilet shouldnt be the source if a small amount of water is staying in the bowl to act as a barrier.