Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Moving to a 5th Wheel
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Moving to a 5th Wheel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
FootSoldier

Scottsdale, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/21 09:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The wife and I are looking down the road a little at a time when neither of us will have to go to work. The thought is to buy a new/newer 3/4 ton diesel truck to pull a 5th wheel trailer.

We won't be full-timers, but there's a lot of this great country we want to go see. I'm thinking 33-34' max, with a budget of $60k max for the trailer. We don't need luxury, but we do want convenience.

We've been camping in a Rockwood Roo 23SS since 2013. We love the little trailer, but I am nearing 69 and don't want a workout just setting up camp.

Like everyone else, I want our $$ to go toward quality and am trying to figure out if there are brands we should head toward or brands we should head away from? Or, are they really all the same in our price range?

At the moment, based on pics and floor plans, I lean toward the Rockwood Ultra Lite 2881S at 33'. I prefer no slides on the door side and the biggest awning we can get.

What about buying something? Where's the best places to search? We bought our 23SS online and had it delivered from Ohio for $2-3k less than we could buy it locally.

Please chime in and help educate me?

Thanks for any help!

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/21 10:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get the RV you like “THEN” get the truck that has the capacity to safely tow it.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/21 05:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buy a 1 ton truck vs. a 3/4 ton truck. You want the additional payload capacity

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/21 05:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Newer diesel trucks do NOT get the same fuel economy as older ones. Plus you have to add the cost if DEF and very expensive oil changes.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/21 05:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

Newer diesel trucks do NOT get the same fuel economy as older ones. Plus you have to add the cost if DEF and very expensive oil changes.

Fuel efficiency in new diesels is greatly improved over previous years especially paired with the newer transmissions.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/21 06:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

This is why you find the trailer first...particularly with 5th wheels.

Expect the pin weight to be somewhere on the order of 25% of the trailer GVWR for a 5th wheel (ignore the empty pin weight listed in the brochure as it has nothing to do with real life towing). A 14,000lb GVWR trailer will have around a 3500lb pin weight. Add in 200lb for the hitch and you have already used 3700lb of the trucks payload.

2021 F250 Crew Cab Long Bed (Platinum) only has a payload of around 3000-3600 depending how it's outfitted. Yet the tow rating can be up to 21,700lb.

Even some of the single rear wheel F350's are only in the 3300-4300 range.

If you find one with 4300lb payload, you have 600lb for passengers and other gear in the truck. Your typical family of 4 with 2 teen boys can easily weigh in at 600lb. Firewood, spare gas, generator, grills, etc... in the truck and even with max payload you need to move up to a dually if you want to stay within the specs on the truck.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/21 06:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

DEF costs me about $40/year. How are the oil changes any more expensive than a pre-DEF truck? The same oil designed for diesel engines is used. The most expensive part of the service on my truck is fuel filter changes - and I would do those whether it is a pre- or post-DEF truck. As for fuel mileage, with a 1-ton DRW truck with a 6-speed and 373 rear end, I get 17 - 18 on the highway not towing and 10 - 11 MPG towing a high-profile 15k (on the scales) fifth wheel.

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/21 06:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Lantley wrote:

This is why you find the trailer first...particularly with 5th wheels.

This is good advice. However, timing can be a bit tricky right now. If you bought a FW you may find yourself waiting for a while on a truck as the supply chain issues and high demand make them very hard to find right now.

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/21 07:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As already noted, select a trailer first then the trailer. In any case, I'd get a 1 ton single rear wheel rather than a 3/4 ton truck. A 3/4 ton truck is very limited in payload and rear axle capacity to carry the pin weight. Max trailer for a 3/4 ton truck will be about a 35' lighter weight trailer.

Use 20% of the trailers GVWR to estimate the trailer pin weight rather than the brochure fiction weights. Also, you can not go by the truck manufacturer's towing capacity. A 3/4 ton truck will reach it maximum payload capacity long before it reaches it's towing capacity. Get the truck manufacturers towing guide and study it and learn all of the terms.

And lastly, ignore the truck and RV sales person on what you can safely tow. If their lips are moving, they are lying.

Ken

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/21 07:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ultra light trailers are not built for lasting quality. The heavier the better, and 5th wheels are work setting up.

I advise getting leveling jacks. Leveling a 5er with boards and plastic squares is work.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Moving to a 5th Wheel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.