Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Moving to a 5th Wheel
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Moving to a 5th Wheel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/21 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Second Chance wrote:

As for fuel mileage, with a 1-ton DRW truck with a 6-speed and 373 rear end, I get 17 - 18 on the highway not towing and 10 - 11 MPG towing a high-profile 15k (on the scales) fifth wheel.

Rob

Had an old ford with 7.3 diesel...got 20-22 not towing and 13 towing.

I noticed similar comparing to my BIL's 2008 ford diesel. He was down similar to what you report.

It doesn't sound huge until you consider the percentage difference...it works out to about a 20% loss.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

C.B.

APPLETON WI USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/21 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

Buy a 1 ton truck vs. a 3/4 ton truck. You want the additional payload capacity

Good advice!

C. B.

CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/21 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

Lantley wrote:

Buy a 1 ton truck vs. a 3/4 ton truck. You want the additional payload capacity

This is why you find the trailer first...particularly with 5th wheels.

This is good advice. However, timing can be a bit tricky right now. If you bought a FW you may find yourself waiting for a while on a truck as the supply chain issues and high demand make them very hard to find right now.

If you get the truck first, make sure you have a few 5er models in mind and what their ratings are...then stick to a unit that is within the trucks ratings.

That or just get the biggest baddest dually diesel available and you should be fine with just about any 5er under 35ft.

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/21 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just get a truck to do the job, safely, and forget about fuel mileage.

lhenry8113

Cypress or Lake Arrowhead, Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/21 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In 2002 we bought our 1st Camper-5th wheel-an Arctic Fox 28 5D-Bunk model-not made anymore. Didn't have problems to speak of-kids grew up-bought a larger Arctic Fox 5th wheel-29 5T. Pulled both with an F250-6.0 Diesel,FX4,4x4,Super Duty, Crew Cab. The 2nd A.F. had about 50,000 miles on it. From So. Ca. had been to Yukon Terr.-all over B.C.- coast to coast U.S.A., and all over western U.S. A.F. is made by Northwood Mfg., in La Grande, OR. They are well made-Northwood makes the Trailer and the Camper-they are a 4 seasons RV-built for going off/on road-has shock absorbers. https://northwoodmfg.com/. Am now older-have a Class C.

2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE
Mustang Hollow Campground, Mathis, TX. Corpus Christi-Lake Corpus Christi

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

Allworth

Orlando, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/21 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have to agree with Lantley!

I happen to own a Ram 2500 Diesel CC 4x4 short bed; AND a Chevy 3500 CC 4x4 long bed. (My son drives the little one in his business)

The difference in price once you start looking at crew cab diesels is very small compared to the difference in capability for the 3500. Talking to others, this seems constant no matter which brand you look at.

Also ride comfort is significantly better in the long bed, because of the extended wheelbase. Parking a LB is another topic.

A

Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
2008 Titanium 30E35SA; EZ-Lube axles; wet bolts; spring hanger gussetts; BFG Commercial TAs
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

smarty

new mexico

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/21 01:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To me the most important thing is to determine the size of the unit that will fit your lifestyle, then research the tow vehicle. The length of your rig is vitally important based on what you plan on doing with it.

wanderingaimlessly

Buggs Island Lake

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/21 04:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your original post you mentioned wanting less work setting up, and more comfort, as well as approaching 69.
Look at a motorhome, ,,,,,
Less work setting up, put it in park press the leveling button, and connect water and electric as needed. Whats easier? ANY trailer will have more steps to go through.
Going to be there for a few days? Fine, disconnect the Towed to sightsee, in a smaller, easier to drive vehicle that can fit in small spots in small towns and parking lots, vs parking on the back 40 because the dually wont fit in a 8' wide spot or on a street with parallel parking only.
Dont get me wrong, there are cases where the big truck and 5er make sense, but your question opening with the 69 age, and wanting easier for your stops to me screams Motorhome A, C or whatever.

Crespro

SoCal

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/21 04:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went through a similar process and ended up with a fifth wheel and an F-250 with 7.3 gas engine. I load the fifth wheel to keep the pin weight between 18% and 19%. For us, it is a good combination of ride and tow capacity. We use about 22.5K of the 26K tow rating. Because DW likes to take day trips, a SRW was required. The 22 foot length is a challenge, but can be managed. The F-350 with 7.3 gas had less payload than the F-250. The F-350 diesel can be bought with 11.4 GVWR and has more payload. Our fifth wheel is a great portable one bedroom unit. DW says she has a "dream kitchen" for an RV. We have six residential appliances, but that means we always have full hookups.

We had three class A motorhomes, with a 40DP for 12 years. The fifth wheel has a better kitchen and living room than the 45DP's I looked at in 2019. The big benefit is that our fifth wheel is likely to have about 1/3 the maintenance of the class A. I am more "seasoned" than you are, so the lower maintenance was a big factor. Yes, the setup and unhooking takes longer than a class A, but the living space is worth the effort.

Crespro 2021 Grand Design 310GK-R, 2020 F250LB, 7.3L, 4.30, Reese 27K

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/21 07:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll add this:
We traveled cross country and up to Alaska with good friends. Them with their 40' DP and Toad and us with our 40' Fifth wheel and Diesel Dually. We would pull into CGs together and be done setting up about the same time. They had to un-hook their toad while we un-hooked the Truck. We both had Auto Leveling and slide outs and both had to manually hookup the same utilities. Actually when moving we could be ready quicker as it was quicker to connect the truck than it was for them to connect their toad.
Now is you don't have auto leveling on your 5er, it's an entirely different ball game.

2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Moving to a 5th Wheel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.