Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Moving to a 5th Wheel
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Moving to a 5th Wheel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
przao

Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/21 08:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm pushing 67 this year and am always looking for something really new and revolutionary in the RV industry. Sadly I have not found anything that is a fit for me that is better what I have.

As far as my fiver, I'm in a Rockwood Signature Ultralight 8288SS, and it is simple to set up solo with no problem whatsoever. One of the biggest advantages of that particular unit for me is that it has dual opposing slides which makes the inside of the rig really large and spacious feeling. The opposing slides in a rear living arrangement is the most important thing for me these days - large windows for view in the parks I favor, which are mostly backing up to the water on the coastline.

As to truck, I'm using a 6.7L 3500 Cummins (not that truck brand matters), but I'm fond of having a large heavy powerful truck (way overkill for my 8k dry trailer). I barely feel the rig behind me and average a reasonable 12mpg.

I guess the take home lesson is that everyone will have their own idea of the "perfect" truck/rig combination. Ask yourself the important questions like internal trailer space including layout (many of the rigs we see have the television 90 degrees from the seats which makes for a sore neck at the end of the day), comfort towing without experiencing semi blow-by, etc.

PZ

FootSoldier

Scottsdale, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/21 11:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

przao wrote:

I'm pushing 67 this year and am always looking for something really new and revolutionary in the RV industry. Sadly I have not found anything that is a fit for me that is better what I have.

As far as my fiver, I'm in a Rockwood Signature Ultralight 8288SS, and it is simple to set up solo with no problem whatsoever. One of the biggest advantages of that particular unit for me is that it has dual opposing slides which makes the inside of the rig really large and spacious feeling. The opposing slides in a rear living arrangement is the most important thing for me these days - large windows for view in the parks I favor, which are mostly backing up to the water on the coastline.

As to truck, I'm using a 6.7L 3500 Cummins (not that truck brand matters), but I'm fond of having a large heavy powerful truck (way overkill for my 8k dry trailer). I barely feel the rig behind me and average a reasonable 12mpg.

I guess the take home lesson is that everyone will have their own idea of the "perfect" truck/rig combination. Ask yourself the important questions like internal trailer space including layout (many of the rigs we see have the television 90 degrees from the seats which makes for a sore neck at the end of the day), comfort towing without experiencing semi blow-by, etc.

Thanks for sharing!

We won't be full-timing and I need to be able to get the truck into the garage. I also don't want to drive a DRW rig all the time I'm not towing. The garage and personal preference is pushing me toward the SB. Hoping to get a little bit of fuel mileage with it, is making me lean to the 3/4 ton. This is all far from cut and dried. If I had more garage, I might consider more truck.

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/21 06:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cptqueeg wrote:

StirCrazy wrote:

snip....

to the original poster, I have a 1 ton single rear wheel and I have 4500Lbs of payload but that is a specal order payload package and hard to find. if you dont mined driving a dualy then just buy one and you can towany 5th you find, but at least get a 1 ton over a 3/4 ton. you might find somthing thats in the capacity of the 3/4 ton but the extra stifness in the 1 ton is worth its weight in gold. plus up here 1 ton trucks are cheeper than 3/4 when you buy new as they are exempt the luxery tax.

Steve

Steve,

What's the "special order payload package"? And which brand offers it? I'd like to order one, it would be $$$ cheaper than replacing DRW w super single.

Thanks,

Paul

for my year the f350 had a stangard 11000lbs GVR on it, with a package that would be upped to 11500lbs. I am not sure what else was in the package but you did have to go with the 20" wheels for it. just have to look at all the different GVW's for that year of truck and see which option had the highest. they might call it a camper special or camper package, or somthing else all togeather.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Moving to a 5th Wheel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.