Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Evaporative Coolers for Lance
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Evaporative Coolers for Lance

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
CYCLEPATH

East Tawas, MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/21 06:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello there. I have an '04 Lance 921, which I bought new in Alaska. It had no air conditioner, which I did not need up there. We moved to Michigan last September, and I spent the last week baking myself alive in that thing. It does have the exhaust fan in the ceiling, but it doesn't put a dent in that heat.

Per the customer rep at Lance, they don't make the A/C unit anymore, that would fit in the roof. I have a call coming in tomorrow from the tech wizard to confirm this, but it didn't sound promising. I need something in there.

Looking at portable A/C's, they look a little big for the camper, so I see these evaporative coolers on the big box store sites. Does anyone have any experience with these? Do they work? I don't need an ice box by any stretch of the imagination, but it's almost not safe in there with these 90 degrees plus temps. Thank you for your time.

MORSNOW

Mountain Home, ID

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/21 07:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a Coleman Mach 8 Polar Cub installed where the standard roof vent was. Unless your roof is so full of other things there should be room to install a rooftop unit.

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD

7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/21 07:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Evap coolers work 'ok' when it's not scorching hot, but you will notice a rise in humidity, which can feel clammy. And they need water. Are you not travelling?

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/21 07:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don’t know what the Lance rep is talking about , maybe he doesn’t either . Every RV roof top AC I know of fits standard 14”x 14” opening , same as a standard roof vent . The particular model that lance used back then may no longer be available but you don’t need to stick with the same model . As far as evaporative coolers they only work well in very dry climates .

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/08/21 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Swamp coolers work great in the desert. In areas with high humidity, they just leave it hot and damp. Guess which one Michigan falls under in the summer.

You should be able to fit an aircon unit on. They aren't custom to a particular model.

We used a portable aircon on out boat for a while. The problem with a truck camper is it eats up floor space which most truck campers start out with very little. Also, you need a window where you can vent the exhaust tube. If you get one, look for the twin tube versions. The single tube uses already cooled interior air to cool the condensor, so they aren't nearly as efficient.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/21 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn’t recommend installing a swamp cooler.

The 2004 921’s should all be prewired for combination heat/AC thermostat, Roof AC, Fantastic fan, Microwave, stereo and speakers, and TV antenna whether those options were ordered or not.

Any standard non-ducted RV roof air conditioner can be installed in the roof vent opening that’s in front of the refrigerator. There should be a blank electrical box cover in the ceiling next to the vent opening, and that’s where the 115v and thermostat wires will be stashed. There may not be a breaker in the power center for the air conditioner, but the wires will definitely be there. You may also have to install a new combination thermostat.

This is what the electrical box in the ceiling looks like in my camper.

[image]

This is a screenshot from the 2004 Lance brochures the 921 interior, and I’ve circled what I believe is the air conditioner prewiring box in the ceiling.

[image]

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/21 08:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine didn't come work an AC either..I priced them out and decided not to spend that much for a roof AC..I went with a 5K window unit that works far better than the roof AC I had on my last truck camper and it is super quiet compared and my little honda runs out easily on eco mode..

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/21 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

Mine didn't come work an AC either..I priced them out and decided not to spend that much for a roof AC..I went with a 5K window unit that works far better than the roof AC I had on my last truck camper and it is super quiet compared and my little honda runs out easily on eco mode..

If you have a rear window, this is also what I would do.

stevenal

Newport, OR, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/21 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I remember Michigan. Step out of the shower, towel off, then stay damp all day. If the water doesn't evaporate there is no cooling.

'18 Bigfoot 1500
Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/21 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Evaporative coolers/"swamp coolers" do not work except 8n ver low humidity (desert SW).

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Evaporative Coolers for Lance
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.