cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Plastic Dust Caps

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Well not a fan of these plastic Kodiak dust caps. Not having oil bath bearings, but disc brakes a metal dust cap would be nice. My issue is I had a slow leak in a tire, took it off to be repaired. Thought while I had that tire off I would remove the caliper, and hub, and check what size grease seals I have, and get a set ordered for the future when I do the bearings . Anyway when I screwed off that cap, part of the threads were broke off ,and still in the hub. I don't know if when I took off the tire if I hit the edge of the cap or not, but I can see I have to be careful taking the tires off with those plastic caps. I am wondering if they have a screw on metal cap, I certainly don't need to see anything ,not having oil bath bearings . I got a couple replacements coming ,but something better would be nice.
7 REPLIES 7

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
My dad did a disk conversion. He could have used grease but went gear lube instead as thatโ€™s what the caps are intended for.

What does it take to go oil bath , I would think a different rear seal for one ?? Is the bearings ,and all that the same ??

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
My dad did a disk conversion. He could have used grease but went gear lube instead as thatโ€™s what the caps are intended for.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Fulltimer50 wrote:
Take a look here:

dust caps

I gave a few opinions on that link.

Those caps are a little over the top on price for a dust cap, I'll stick with the plastic . I see the need for the clear plastic , just don't get why they still use them on my type of disc brake conversion .

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fulltimer50 wrote:
Take a look here:

dust caps

I gave a few opinions on that link.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Fulltimer50
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look here:

dust caps
George

2011 F350 PSD CC LB 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41RSSB4 5th Wheel

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Michelle.S wrote:
There was a series of those caps being defective. I had all four of mine break and MORryde sent me clear replacements. Haven't had a broken one since.

Thanks.They are nearly 5 years old , I ordered what Iโ€™m hoping is the right ones , they are a dexter part , the thread diameter matches the Kodiak brand I have . They were on Amazon and came in a pair . They have free return , so I can send them back . Redline also has one that matches mine . All the dimensions on that one matched mine . Dexter just gave thread dia , but came as a pair and a little less expensive.

Kind of silly they even put those type caps on .

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
There was a series of those caps being defective. I had all four of mine break and MORryde sent me clear replacements. Haven't had a broken one since.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint