Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Still very tempting to buy my totaled TT back
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Still very tempting to buy my totaled TT back

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
protel

Portland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/09/21 11:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

[image]

Here're some pics from inside

capacitor

California

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/21 11:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How did the tow truck right it? I see 1500-2000 awning, 150 tongue jack, 30 propane cover. Anyway to eye the frame front to back? We’re the load levelers connected at the time? Was the fridge running?

* This post was edited 06/09/21 11:47am by capacitor *

mr_andyj

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/21 03:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most here seem to be in favor of the buyback...
I would tow the heckle out of that rv and even camp in it.
All the repairs, as OP quite stated, will be done by him, so will cost nothing but time, or provide a new hobby or source of entertainment.
There are no legal concerns.
Only, will it roll and did you fix any leaks.

msmith1.wa

Tacoma, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/09/21 06:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before making your decision you need to check with your state police or department of licensing to see what they expect to be fixed before they will issue a new title and plates. My state seems to be lenient on this, but others are more strict on the inspection they perform.

2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 8.1l
2016 Evergreen Amped 28FS

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/21 06:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GDS-3950BH wrote:

The tow vehicles liability insurance would cover it just like it does even when you have specific RV insurance.

Thanks, I thought it probably would cover it but, I'm not familiar with the insurance industry.
I didn't know if the salvage title would make a difference.

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/21 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since everything is working and you can live with the crack, there’s no reason not to buy it back.
As far as potential leaks, just do normal roof and seam maintenance.
Personally, I would think that there is nothing wrong with the frame since the doors work and the glass wasn’t broken.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Timmo!

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/10/21 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can paint black stripes on a white horse and lead it across the river, but it will always be a horse, never a zebra.

A "totaled vehicle" will have a "salvaged" registration, and will always be valued accordingly (which means little resale value).

Have you ever been inside a TT while it is traveling down the road? It is like riding out an earthquake--the inside sways left-right and everything squeaks and rumbles.

Something in my old demented brain says not all damage will be visual to the naked eye--and the unseen/unknown damage will keep you busy playing repair guy every summer, and will cost more than $5k to fix.

(Formerly known as SPRey)
Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!
2000 Nash 19B...comfortably pimped with a real Queen Size Bed

tommyznr

NR, WI

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/21 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timmo! wrote:

You can paint black stripes on a white horse and lead it across the river, but it will always be a horse, never a zebra.

A "totaled vehicle" will have a "salvaged" registration, and will always be valued accordingly (which means little resale value).

Have you ever been inside a TT while it is traveling down the road? It is like riding out an earthquake--the inside sways left-right and everything squeaks and rumbles.

Something in my old demented brain says not all damage will be visual to the naked eye--and the unseen/unknown damage will keep you busy playing repair guy every summer, and will cost more than $5k to fix.

Not all states have salvage registration for totaled travel trailers, I believe the OP indicated he will not have that issue.

As for resale value, sure it won't have value based on the original $20k purchase price but it will have resale value relative to the actual dollars put into the buyback and repairs.

Maybe not a lot of value left for the OP but two years ago I was able to get $4k for a 14 year old travel trailer that needed a fair amount of work. It too was totaled by the insurance company but due to hail damage and I did not have to deal with a salvage title.

Tom

2017 GMC Sierra SLT, Max Tow package
2018 Grand Design Reflection 295RL

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/21 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timmo! wrote:

But the guy gets a $5300, "newish" camper. If it all works out in his favor wit no unexpected issues, then it's a huge win for a guy whos not hung up on a scratch or a crack.
If he dumps, say, $5k (seems like a big number) into it, he still has a new ish camper for $10k.

Seems outwardly like a decent deal since it appears to have sustained a very soft roll.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Boomerweps

Hills of PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/21 01:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve a handy man background. From the pictures, 4K# is a decent price for that as a fixer upper. My biggest concern would be to access every pipe I could and check for leaks, most are easily fixed. Water a destructive force in a TT, but propane an explosive force.

2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, TBC

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Still very tempting to buy my totaled TT back
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.